Post last updated: 06/06/2023
The right hair straightener is so versatile it can smooth your hair straight, create tousled, beachy waves, or help you to achieve the perfect curl. And with a wide range of brands available such as ghd, L’Oréal Professionnel and Babyliss, you’ll be sure to find the perfect straightening iron that will offer you beautiful locks in no time at all.
The Best Hair Straighteners - Our Top Picks
The best hair straighteners have been tried and tested by our experts. If you’re ready to invest in a pair of long lasting hair straighteners that will give you shiny, glossy and gorgeous hair time and time again, then keep on reading...
- ghd Mini Styler
- L’Oréal Steampod
- ghd Max Styler
- BaByliss Diamond Hair Straighteners
- ghd Platinum+ Straighteners
- ghd Original Styler
- L’Oreal Professionnel Steampod 3.0 Steam Hair Straightener & Styling Tool
- Drybar The Tress Press Digital Styling Iron, 1 Inch
- BaByliss Smooth Pro Wide 235 Straightener
- Mermade Hair Straightener 28mm
What to Consider When Choosing a Hair Straightener
When it comes to looking for the perfect hair straightener, there are a few things to consider:
What width is best for short or long hair?
Hair straighteners are available in a variety of widths: slim plates (usually around 2.5 – 3cm) are suitable for short hair, while wider plates (around 6cm) are better for those with longer hair or thick hair.
How quickly do different plates heat up?
- Ceramic plates distribute heat more evenly but can be slower to warm up.
- Titanium plates heat up much more quickly than ceramic plates however, hair straighteners with this plate type tend to be more expensive.
- Ceramic coated plates are made from a metal base topped with a ceramic layer giving you the best of both worlds - a speedy heating time paired with more evenly distributed heat.
Do you need a straightener with a variable temperature?
Depending on your hair density, you’ll want to heat your hair straighteners to different temperatures to ensure the best results. Low heat is better suited to people with fine hair and a higher heat is better suited to people with coarse hair or thick hair.
What is ionic technology?
Nobody wants frizz or flyaways and when there is too much positive charge on your hair, it can cause static. Ionic technology neutralises this unwanted charge and helps to keep your hair smooth, sleek and frizz free.