There are 2 types of sunscreen you can buy for your skin and body: chemical and mineral. Chemical sunscreens work by absorbing UV rays and dissipating that heat and damage from the skin, whereas mineral sunscreens work by reflecting the sun’s rays to shield against UV rays.
What is mineral sunscreen?
Containing active mineral ingredients like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, mineral sunscreens are considered gentler on our skin and better for the environment than their chemical counterparts.
Traditional mineral sunscreens can leave a chalky, white cast on the skin, but modern technology has eliminated that.
Which are the best mineral sunscreens?
We have selected our edit of the best mineral sunscreens on the market for their efficacy, broad spectrum protection and ability to coat the skin without leaving a white glow.
8 best mineral sunscreens
- SkinCeuticals Mineral Matte UV Defense
- Omorovicza Mineral UV Shield
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Mineral Sunscreen Moisutriser
- REN Clean Screen Mineral SPF30 Mattifying Face Sunscreen
- Elizabeth Arden Prevage City Smart Hydrating Shield
- Clinique Mineral Sunscreen Fluid for the Body
- Bioderma Photoderm AKN Mat Sunscreen
- Bioderma Photoderm Mineral Spray
Best matte mineral sunscreen
Renowned for its medical-aesthetic approach to skin and suncare, there’s no better brand to keep your skin protected against damaging UV rays than SkinCeuticals. Their Sheer Mineral Matte UV Defense has an SPF 30 alongside broad spectrum protection to keep the skin shielded. It has a naturally matte finish, which holds up in hot climates thanks to its unique Aerated Silica Technology. Trust us when we say if you have oily/combination skin, this is the best mineral sunscreen for you.