Festivals of any kind are the perfect time to experiment with your makeup looks and try something new. As Notting Hill Carnival is upon us, we have created four different eye-catching makeup looks inspired by precious gems to make sure you stand out in the crowd.
Green is a colour we usually shy away from but this emerald-inspired look is perfect for festival and carnival season.
- Begin by priming your eyelids with your favourite eyeshadow primer than apply Urban Decay Moondust Eyeshadow in the shade 'Zodiac' all over your lid with a flat, synthetic brush.
- Taking the matte green shade of the NYX Professional Makeup Ultimate Shadow Palette - Brights, blend out the edges, creating a blown-out effect. Apply the same shade underneath your lower lash line to intensify.
- Line both your tightline and your waterline with the deep emerald Daniel Sandler Green Velvet Waterproof Eyeliner.
- Highlight your skin with 'Enchanted' from the Kevyn Aucoin Prismagic Highlighting Trio for an out-of-this-world effect and then set everything in place with a mist of Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray all over your complexion.
We've selected a couple of our favourite diamond-inspired products to help you create a beautful, icy makeup look.
- After applying your base, highlight your skin with Laura Geller Easy Illuminating Stick in Diamond Dust. Apply the creamy formula to the areas you wish to accentuate - along your cheekbones, on the Cupid's bow and down the bridge of your nose. Your skin will be illuminated with a gorgeous icy, finish.
- Set and intensify your highlight with MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinish Highlighter in Soft Frost. The rich powder will make your highlight pop and help your complexion to glow day long.
- Begin creating your crush-diamond eye look by applying Bobbi Brown Eyeshadow in Bone all over the lid.
- Top your shadow base with Kevyn Aucoin The Exotique Eye Gloss in Cosmic - a clear gloss infused with rich sparkling pigment to create a diamond-like shine on your lids.
- Complete your look with lashings of mascara, a gloss and a spritz of MAC Prep + Prime Fix+ Spray in Goldlite for an ultra-metallic finish to the skin.
Red eyeshadow is a huge trend this year. Take it to the next level with our ruby-inspired makeup look.
- After applying your base and priming your eyelids, take the matte red shade from the NYX Professional Makeup Swear By It Eyeshadow Palette and apply all over your lid, blending out with the lighter red tones for a deep, smoked out look.
- Add a little glitter over the top of your shadow, only on the lid of your eye, with MAC Glitter Reflects in Rust and follow up with lashings of your favourite volumising mascara.
- Complete your ruby look by applying BOD Mermaid Body Glitter Gel on your cheeks where you would normally place highlight. You can also apply the glitter on your body to take your look to the next level.
- Set everything in place with MAC Prep + Prime Fix+ Spray in Pinklite.
Inspired by sapphires, this blue-toned look is sure to catch every eye and make you stand out in the crowd.
- Apply eyeshadow primer all over your lid then create a winged eyeliner look using benefit They're Real! Push Up Liner in Blue. Start my drawing a line, staying as close to your lash line as possible, and create a flick at the outer corner or your eye.
- Follow up your liner with Urban Decay Double Team Mascara in Gonzo - an electric blue shade. Instead of traditional black, wearing a coloured mascara makes your look that little bit more fun and is an easy way to switch up your makeup to be carnival ready.
- Coat your lips in Ciaté London Glitter Flip Lipstick in Iconic. The rich formula applies opaque in one swipe, leaving a rich midnight blue hue on your lips. The lipstick then turns into a super glittery, multi-dimensional product when your lips are pressed together, creating a truly eye catching look. With such rich pigment and amazing staying power, you won't have to touch up all day.
- Complete your look with a spritz of 3INA Makeup The Fixing Spray to lock your makeup in place.