The summer months can leave our skin feeling a little parched. Warmer weather, sunlight, salt water and chlorine can all have detrimental effects on the health of our skin, damaging moisture levels and leaving our complexions looking less than glowing.
We have put together our edit of the best hydrating masks and best moisturisers for dry skin, alongside other thirst-quenching products your skin will love when the temperature rises.
Best moisturising cleansers
Cleansers might be the only step in your routine that you wash off, but if you use the wrong product they can throw off your whole regime. If you have dehydrated or thirsty skin, you need to keep away from acidic ingredients as these will only exacerbate the tight feeling, and instead opt for moisturising ingredients like aloe and marshmallow. You still do need to exfoliate though, but it's best as its own step twice a week to reduce the chances of redness and irritation.
- For a great all-rounder, we love the Philosophy Purity Made Simple 3-in-1 Cleanser. It is a gentle yet effective formulation that lifts away dirt and impurities, but also contains natural oil extracts to nourish and condition the skin.
- The ELEMIS Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm is an all-time classic, and although suitable for more mature skin types thanks to its anti-ageing ingredients, it's also great at combatting dehydration. Its blend of natural oils and botanical extracts melt into the skin to renew and revitalise, whisking away all dry skin cells in its path.
- For a different kind of texture, try the DECLÉOR Hydra-Radiance Smoothing and Cleansing Mousse. It contains gentle oat milk to soothe, while Japanese white mulberry lifts away impurities and dead skin cells for a revitalised finish.
Best moisturisers for dry skin
When looking for the best moisturisers for dry skin, make sure you look out for key ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerine and Vitamin E. They all nourish, condition and hydrate the skin without feeling heavy or greasy and causing breakouts.
- One of the trendiest formulas on the scene at the moment is the Shiseido Waso Clear Mega Hydrating Cream, which coincidentally looks more like a jellified gel. The clear moisturiser contains carrot cells, which are rich in water and help to provide long-lasting hydration into parched skin.
- If you have dehydrated skin that's also oily and prone to breakouts, it can be a challenge finding a good moisturiser that won't make you shinier or break you out. For this, we love Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel, which contains no oil, but a blend of moisturising ingredients instead to nourish and protect.
- For a more powerful and overnight treatment, try the Bobbi Brown Hydrating Intensive Night Cream. It contains a blend of jojoba, olive, sweet almond and apricot oils, alongside shea butter to intensively condition and nourish very dehydrated and dry skin.
Best hydrating facial mists mists
If you are on the go and feel that your skin is a little dehydrated, try spritzing it with a face mist. They provide short-term hydration and help to keep makeup from looking patchy as they boost moisture levels to prevent products like foundation peeling away.
- The First Aid Beauty Vitamin Hydrating Mist is not only enriched with vitamins to shield the skin against environmental aggressors, but also contains Vitamin B5 to moisturise the skin and leave skin replenished and looking glowing and healthy.
- ESPA's Hydrating Floral SpaFresh Spritzer is ideal for both dehydrated and sensitive skin types. It contains botanical extracts like rose geramium, rose damascena and neroli to replenish lost hydration and make the skin feel comfortable and moisturised.
- If you're a big fan of the cult Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm, you will adore the brand's Plump and Glow Hydrating Facial Mist. It contains hyaluronic acid to hydrate and aloe vera to soothe sore and reddened skin; perfect for if you've spent a day in the sun and need a refreshing boost.
Best hydrating serums and treatments
Serums and skin treatments are a great way to lock in moisture as they are an extra step in your routine designed to create a barrier between your cells and the outside world. Often, they are to be applied alone for severe dehydration, or if you feel like your skin is a little tighter than usual, add to your regular moisturiser for a hydrating boost.
- The SkinCeuticals H.A. Hyaluronic Acid Intensifier is one of our favourite skin serums to combat dehydration. Infused with a high concentration of pure hyaluronic acid, liquorice root and 10% Proxylane, the lightweight formula delivers long-lasting hydration for parched, summer skin.
- The Bioderma Hydrabio Serum is perfect for dehydrated skin that also suffers from sensitivity, as it is free from both alcohol, and both hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. It's formulated with the brand's unique Aquagenium Complex, which helps to give both an immediate and long-lasting hydrating effect for super comfortable skin.
Best hydrating masks
Hydrating masks are one of the best ways to infuse your skin with much-needed moisture. They contain more powerful actives than moisturisers as they are kept on the skin for a less amount of time, making them perfect to counteract that dehydration.
- GLAMGLOW's Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment is one of the best and most nourishing face masks we have tried. It contains the brand's unique Dewdration and HydraPack technologies, alongside hyaluronic acid to condition and inject a wave of moisture into parched skin. Plus, it comes in a handy smaller size too, which is perfect for travelling.
- Lumene's Lähde Nordic Hydra Hydration Recovery Aerating Gel Mask is another great option for thirsty skin. Enriched with the brand's range of Nordic ingredients like Arctic spring water and birch sap, the msak delivers long-lasting moisture for continual hydration throughout the summer months.
- If you like to keep your mask on for longer than 10 minutes, you will love Erno Laszlo's Hydratherapy Memory Sleep Mask. It works as your body sleeps, and contains actives called "smart hydrators" which replace moisture loss and keep the skin continually nourished for 24 hours.
Clinique's Dramatically Different Hydrating Jelly is brand new from the brand, and takes inspiration from the original and now iconic yellow Dramatically Different Lotion.
It combines hyaluronic acid, and brand unique Clean Shield Technology (a blend of sunflower seed, barley extract and cucumber) to deliver intense moisture into the skin whilst also feeling weightless and smoothing.
The jelly-like texture melts into the skin upon application and shields skin against damaging environmental aggressors and pollutants to leave the complexion clean, glowing and healthy.
Suitable for all skin types, the moisturiser is free from oils, parabens and fragrance and has been allergy tested to great for anyone with a sensitised complexion.
Enjoy this? Try our Dr Jart+ best products guide.