On top of all their cult products, M.A.C has especially become famous for their glow-inducing highlighters, which provide exceptional radiance to the skin. With lots of different textures, formulations and colours, it can be hard to navigate your way around which M.A.C highlighter is best for you. Luckily, we have created an in-depth guide to help you find your perfect one.
To help to find your perfect highlighter and create the glowing complexion of your dreams, we've teamed up with M.A.C and enlisted the help of Senior M.A.C Makeup Artist Rachel O'Donnell to give you the low down all things highlighter
Which is the best M.A.C highlighter for me?
When it comes to achieving that famous M.A.C glow, there is an array of highlighting products to help you. From the cult Strobe Cream to the new Hyperreal Palette, whatever radiance wattage you want, a M.A.C highlighter will get you there.
For a nourishing glow
M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish
This is perhaps one of the most well-known M.A.C highlighters and is loved by everyone from makeup artists to models and bloggers.
The powder itself is slow-baked, making it super smooth and creamy, while the texture feels like velvet and blends easily into the skin. The result is a "your complexion but better" as the highlight can be worn sheer for a natural radiance, or built up and used wet for a stronger colour.
The highlighter is also infused with M.A.C's exclusive 77-Mineral Complex, which is enriched with conditioning extracts such as Shea Butter to help nourish the skin.
- Cheeky Bronze - Light coral with a pale golden glimmer.
- Global Glow - Light golden tan with silver speckles.
- Gold Deposit - As its name suggests, this powder is like a little golden nugget.
- Lightscapade - A candlelit beige with lilac shimmer.
- Soft and Gentle - Pale peachy-bronze.
- Warm Rose - Baby pink with rose shimmer.
For a supercharged highlight
M.A.C Extra Dimension Skinfinish
M.A.C's Extra Dimension Skinfinish is a unique hybrid formulation that defies all highlighting odds.
The formula itself is a liquid, powder and cream highlighter all in one. Formulated with liquid powder technology, the actual highlighter is first created as a liquid, and then moulded into a pan, where it is baked to achieve that famous creamy powder texture. The result is a beautiful and gilded product that gives you a gorgeous and unrivalled luminosity.
Free from talc and non-acnegenic, the highlighter is suitable for even the most blemish prone skin as it won't cause any breakouts. Instead, its lightweight and smooth texture imparts a lovely light onto the skin that can be worn sheer or built up to your desired colour.
- Show Gold - Peachy golden with pink speckles.
- Doublegleam - Neutral beige with silver shimmer.
- Beaming Blush - A golden pink that imparts a lovely rosy hue.
- Soft Frost - Like pure snow; a frosted white with iridescent violet.
For a natural, radiant glow
M.A.C Strobe Cream
M.A.C's Strobe Cream is as undoubtedly one of the most well-known cosmetics products on the planet.
Part skincare, part highlighter, the cream works to moisturise and illuminate your skin for a beautifully natural and healthy glow. Inspired by backstage lighting techniques, which impart a delicate radiance, the cream contains a blend of antioxidants and Vitamins B5, B12 A and E to nourish and condition the skin. It's also infused with Green Tea Extract, which helps to shield the skin from environmental aggressors, making it your perfect everyday face base.
- Pinklite - The original strobe cream with delicate pink, pearlised shimmer.
- Silverlite - A gorgeous silvery, iridescent finish.
- Redlite - A red pearlised cream.
- Goldlite - Infused with golden pearls for a light-reflecting radiance like no other.
- Peachlite - The closest to your natural skin tone, with a peach glimmer.
For a glow and go
M.A.C Prep + Prime Fix+ Spray
M.A.C's Prep + Prime Fix+ Spray has been given a glittering update thanks to the addition of Pinklite and Goldlite (coming soon) to the collection.
Not only does the spritzer keep makeup in place all-day long, it contains shimmering pigments to help add radiance and glow to tired and lacklustre complexions.
For a chiselled glow
M.A.C Prep + Prime Highlighter
For targeted radiance and a lightweight glow, the M.A.C Prep + Prime Highlighter is perfect. It has a thin nib tip which allows for precise application; making it perfect for the inner corners of the eyes.
It can be used on the cheekbones, but is especially good at brightening dark circles for a wide-awake effect.
For a strobe-like glow
M.A.C Hyperreal Highlighter
Like its name suggests, MAC's Hyperreal Highlighter is ideal for those wanting a "hyperreal" radiance to their skin.
A trio of highlighters (which are perfect for packing with you and taking on holiday), the Hyperreal Highlighting Palette comes in 2 different colours, depending on the look you want to go for:
- Flash + Awe - Burning golden hues in light to deep for a sunkissed glow.
- Get it Glowin' - Think of warm golden sand and beach holidays; this palette is perfect for cocktails at sunset.
Enjoy this? Try our best MAC foundation guide. You can also find more highlighting products in the Prep and Prime and Blusher sections on the blog.