Post last updated: 14/03/2023
Finding the best shampoo for dry scalp can be difficult, especially if you also have other hair concerns such as lack of volume or hair loss that also need targeting.
What Causes Dry Scalp?
Dry scalp can be caused by a number of factors, but medication, genetics, the environment and product choice all play a huge part. If you have dandruff, flaky and itchy skin or red scalp, chances are it's irritated and needs some attention.
If you live in a built-up polluted city, or are frequently exposed to smoke or the sun, external aggressors can cause your hair to become dry and irritated, which in turn has a big impact on your scalp health. Similarly, certain medications can cause scalp dryness, and using the wrong haircare products can cause major irritation. It's important to isolate which of these factors are causing your dry scalp, but using a shampoo specially made for the issue will help relieve and calm down any flare-ups.
Here's why you need to start looking after your scalp
Great hair starts at the scalp. We caught up with the experts at NIOXIN who gave us the lowdown on what, why and how of great scalp care
Our Picks of the Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp
- Kérastase Specifique Dermo-Calm Bain Riche Shampoo
- Leonor Greyl Creme Aux Fleurs Cream Shampoo
- L'Oréal Professionel Serie Expert Sensi Balance Shampoo
- Shu Uemura Art of Hair Cleansing Oil Shampoo for Dry Scalp
- L'Oréal Professionnel Source Essentielle Sensitive Scalp Shampoo
- Philip Kingsley Shampoo for Flaky & Itchy Scalps
- Redken Scalp Relief Soothing Balance Shampoo
- Aveda Scalp Benefits Shampoo
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Scalp Care Anti-Thinning Shampoo
- System Professional Balance Shampoo
We have put our top picks of the best shampoos for flaky, itchy scalps to help you choose the right one for your hair type and individual needs.
Shop all Scalp Care on LOOKFANTASTIC