Although hair colouring has come a long way, with bleached straw-like strands a thing of the past, it's still important to follow a proper aftercare routine following any hair colouring to prevent dryness and breakage as well as to preserve your colour.
"If you’re using semi-permanent colours like the ones we offer at Bleach, they will not damager your hair, but Bleach can weaken strands as it works to remove pigments inside the hair, this can leave it feeling dry and prone to breakage" explains Alex Brownsell, founder and creative director of Bleach London. New to the range, Alex recommends using the Bleach London Reincarnation range to care for your coloured locks and shares his top tips for a professional aftercare routine.
How to care for coloured hair
Step 1: Shampoo
Just like choosing the right moisturiser to suit your skin type, picking the best shampoo helps to target your specific hair concern to offer the best treatment. Suitable for all hair types but specifically designed for dry and damaged coloured hair, Alex recommends using the Bleach London Reincarnation Shampoo to cleanse the hair and scalp without stripping moisture from your newly coloured hair.
What are the benefits of the Reincarnation Shampoo?
"It works to restore broken bonds in the hair and help strengthen and moisturise your hair while gently cleansing and soothing your scalp" explains Alex. Moving away from trend-led formulas, the innovative blend contains a 3-step bond-repair system that generates results after the first wash.
How does the Reincarnation Shampoo work?
"The blend of ingredients within the shampoo has been formulated to improve hair quality by nourishing the scalp, adding vibrancy to the hair and strengthening the hair from within" says Alex. "The bonds in bleached and coloured hair are weakened during the bleaching process. The creatine in the shampoo helps repair electrostatic bonds, which contribute to the hair’s strength" he clarifies. "When your hair is healthier, your colour will look better and hold longer as well".
What are the key ingredients in the Reincarnation Shampoo?
- Creatine - "the hero ingredient, repairs weakened electrostatic bonds to strengthen the hair from within. The Creatine in the (Reincarnation) shampoo and conditioner works together with the Reincarnation Mask to help build two types of bonds in the hair (electrostatic and cross-linked protein bonds) meaning more complete bond care".
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Microproteins - "create a protective shield and soothe scalp and strands".
- Amino Acid Complex - "provides essential nourishment, moisturising the hair for silky soft results".
- Panthenol - "great at improving the hair’s resistance to mechanical breakage (like from brushing your hair)".
How often should you use the Reincarnation shampoo
"As often as you want" says Alex. "This shampoo won’t over proteinate your hair, so you can use it every time you wash your hair".
Step 2: Mask
Treat your tresses to some extra nourishment with the Bleach London Reincarnation Mask. Effective in rehydrating dry locks, reducing frizz, protecting against UV rays and maintaining your colour, the multi-benefit mask is a must-have for all seasons, especially summer! "The mask is especially great in summer when your hair is generally drier and exposed to more colour-stripping sun" confirms Alex.
How does the Reincarnation Mask work?
Harnessing the powers of vegetable proteins, the mask works with the Reincarnation Shampoo and Conditioner to help build cross-linked protein bonds to strengthen the hair from within according to Alex. Creating softer and smoother results after just one use, the mask helps to rejuvenate dry, damaged and bleached and coloured hair. "The bonds in bleached and coloured hair are weakened during the bleaching process. The mask helps to build cross-linked protein bonds strengthening the hair from within. The Reincarnation Mask helps moisturise and strengthen your hair and reduce unwanted effects of bleaching, like dryness and frizziness. It’s one of our bestsellers and I absolutely swear by its results!" adds Alex.
What are the key ingredients in the Reincarnation Mask?
- Vegetable proteins - "penetrate the cuticle to help build cross-linked protein bonds".
- Lactic acid - "maintains the hair’s pH balance to fight frizz".
- Sunflower seed extract - "an antioxidant rich in vitamin E, helps to protect hair against UV damage and reduce colour fade".
How often should you use the Reincarnation Mask?
Alex recommends using the Mask once a week for the best results. Apply the Mask to shampooed hair, combing through your locks before massaging in. Wrap the hair in a towel to enhance the conditioning effects and leave on for 10-20 minutes before rinsing out and following with the Reincarnation Conditioner.
Step 3: Conditioner
Essential for locking in moisture, follow your shampoo with the Reincarnation Conditioner. "The conditioner works to repair broken bonds in the hair and help strengthen, nourish, and moisturise hair" adds Alex. "It also smooths cuticles raised from various types of damage to make it look and feel healthier".
How does the Reincarnation Conditioner work?
The second step in your 3-step bond-repair routine, the conditioner works by helping to rebuild broken bonds in the hair, including electrostatic and cross-linked protein bonds which both contribute to hair strength. Specially designed for dry and damaged bleached or coloured hair, "the conditioner has been formulated to improve hair quality by smoothing and strengthening the outside of the cuticle, adding vibrancy and lustre to the hair and strengthening it from within" says Alex.
What are the key ingredients in the Reincarnation Conditioner?
- Creatine - "the hero ingredient, repairs weakened electrostatic bonds to strengthen hair from within".
- Hydrogenated castor oil - "smooths and seals raised cuticles, making the hair look and feel healthier and helping to protect it from future damage".
- Amino acid complex -"provides essential nourishment, moisturising the hair for silky soft results".
How often should you use the conditioner?
Just like the shampoo, Alex reassures that you can use the conditioner as often as you want! Made with the same innovative formula, the conditioner won't over proteinate the hair.