When it comes to high-fashion, long-lasting trends (hello braided hairstyles) and a perfect finish, there's only one brand that springs to mind: Redken.
Their highly sought after artists regularly make their appearances backstage at fashion shows and are booked out many months in advance just for a consultation. The results however are well worth the wait.
The All Tied Up class focussed on key trends we can expect to see coming into play for 2017: think textures, braids and weaves.
The Braid Parade is back - Redken
The Redken Hair Braids
There is a return to braided up-do's and textured hair this year, as seen on many a celebrity at the Golden Globes.
There were a lot of top knots and low buns at the Globes, and this can be elevated by adding in a braid and then twisting it into a bun to create texture to the hair. These are known as 3D Braids, and were seen on the likes of Sarah Jessica Parker below.
The textures must remain organic and natural however. The braids should look artistic without looking over the top, meaning that there is still natural movement to the hair.
Lighter knots are in favour of tighter curls to make the look appear a little more bohemian and less "pulled together." Braids can be used to create volume, such as plaiting the hair and then twisting into a bun, which will create more lift at the roots than a regular updo.
Pull out little wisps of hair to add more texture to the hair - Redken
2017 Braided Hairstyles
A key look this year is creating the perfect ponytail using only 2 clips and an elastic. The look is based on the finish you get when you wrap hair around a bobble to conceal it, giving you the perfect pony.
- Put your hair into a simple ponytail with an elastic band.
- Secure a clip underneath this ponytail in a diagonal position.
- You then wrap the hair around the clip and elastic, and then using the 2nd clip, pull hair through the pin and pull down.
- Pull the hair clip down the ponytail until it has been removed, and you will have a perfect wrap ponytail.
Styles can be created with tools you have at home, such as belt buckles which can be used to loop hair together and put a unique twist on a classic style.
When you are creating braids, allow your hair to dry naturally to create movement and texture.
A key product to have in your repertoire is the Redken Braid 03 which creates a buffer against the braid and the cuticle of the hair (the line you get when you wear your hair in a ponytail all day.) Braid Aid protects against this damage so your hair stays healthier for longer and your braids look more polished.
Hair Braiding Tips from Redken
- Redken products allow you to create the styles you want!
- Always use elastics when braiding hair to keep the fibres together and prevent it from looking fluffy.
- Add visual value to hair using clips and earrings, which can also help to cover an imperfection in a braid!
- If your clips are slippy in your hair, put them in Redken Powder Grip and then secure in place - they will stay there all day!
Discover the top hair trends for 2017 with Redken and how you can incorporate them into your routine.