When it comes to the world of face bases, including foundations, tinted moisturisers, BB, CC and even DD creams, it is one of the most confusing makeup categories to get your head around. With so many products, brands, textures and tones to choose from, finding the right shade and finish can be difficult, but we have put together an expert guide to make the process a whole lot easier.
Our in-depth post on the best foundations covers everything you need to know about how to find the perfect foundation match for you, but if you are looking for something a little lighter such as a tinted moisturiser or BB Cream, then read on.
What are Tinted Moisturisers?
A tinted moisturiser is essentially a much more lightweight face base than your regular foundation, which means that they do provide slightly less coverage. As such, if you are going through a bad skin day, a combination of a tinted moisturiser and a good concealer will ensure you still look your best, without needing foundation.
Tinted moisturisers also tend to contain a higher percentage of humectants than foundations, meaning that they work harder to keep the skin super hydrated and supple. This makes them a great choice if you have a dry, dehydrated or sensitive skin that needs a little more nourishment.
Remember, you wear your face base for the majority of the day, so choosing the correct one for your skin type is crucial to ensure your skin stays healthy! If you aren’t sure on what skin type you have, you can read more about our dry, oily and normal skin guides to help you understand your complexion a bit more.
How to apply
When it comes to applying tinted moisturisers, there is a little more involved than massaging it into your skin. Just like foundation, there are some easy tips and tricks you can do to ensure you get a beautifully flawless complexion.
- Always apply moisturiser before your tinted moisturiser. If you have oily skin, opt for oil-free and lightweight moisturisers that will help to mattify your complexion; if you have dry skin, choose a nourishing formula that ensures your base goes on smoothly and doesn’t crack.
- Always apply an SPF alongside your tinted moisturiser. Just because it says SPF 15 on the bottle, it doesn’t mean you don’t need extra and protection!
- Colour match your base to your jawline and neck. There’s nothing worse than stepping out the house looking a different skin tone to your neck, so always match downwards. You can warm up your skin later with bronzer.
- Warm up the product in your hands first. Whether you prefer using your fingers, a beauty egg or brushes, one thing is for sure; always warm tinted moisturisers in your hands first and it will spread more easily.
- Blend up towards the forehead and out towards the ears. Remember to bring it down your neck too, but working out from the chin up will ensure you get the right product distribution.
- Conceal to your heart’s content. If you are having a bad skin day, then cover any remaining imperfections with a durable concealer. The new NARS Soft Matte Concealer hides all manner of sins.
Top 5 Tinted Moisturisers
There are a lot of tinted moisturisers to choose from, so selecting the right one for your needs will ensure you get the right coverage and finish.
Unlike foundations, you can rely less on your skin type when choosing tinted moisturisers. As the coverage is a lot lighter, opt for primers that suit your skin type, and tinted moisturisers that suit your desired finish.