Post last updated: 09/02/2023
The sun can really take its toll on our hair. While in the short term, UV rays will lighten and add a sunkissed glow, in the long-term they can actually cause damage, dulling and dehydration.
What are the Signs of Sun-damaged Hair
There are many symptoms of hair damaged by the sun's UV rays. One obvious sign is brittle hair breaks easily, making styling difficult. You may also see split ends, thinning and increased frizz as the hair strands become dehydrated and dry.
It's important to take action to protect hair from sun-damage. The first step is to invest in a good quality sunscreen for your hair. This will help to protect your hair from the harmful UV rays, and will also help to keep it hydrated.
Next, you'll want to make sure you're using a deep conditioning treatment once a week. This will help to replenish the moisture in your hair shaft, and will also help to repair any damage that has already been done.
Our Picks of the Best Treatments for Sun-damaged Hair
- Matrix Biolage Sunsorials Sun Repair Treatment
- Aveda After Sun Hair Treatment Masque
- Kérastase Masque UV Défense Active
- L'Oréal Professionnel Serie Expert Solar Sublime Sun Masque
- Korres Sunflower and Mountain Tea Mask for Coloured Hair
- System Professional Solar Sun Oil
- Pureology Strength Cure Superfood Treatment
- Philip Kingsley After-Sun Scalp Mask
Best Hair Treatments to Fix Sun-damaged Hair
We have put together an exclusive guide on some of the best hair masks and treatments for sun-damaged hair so you can keep your locks healthy, soft and shiny all summer long.