Back in January, we rebooted our search for the brightest up and coming beauty talent to #JoinTheBeautySet for 2018. After such a successful year with our wonderful Beauty Set Members, we were so excited at the prospect of meeting a whole new group of amazing influencers who wanted to share their knowledge and passion for all things beauty.
We launched our search on the lookfantastic Instagram, calling all beauty enthusiasts to share with us their top beauty hack in under thirty seconds. We received hundreds of applications, each with their own new and exciting beauty hack which truly showed a huge amount of talent and passion.
It was such a hard job for all of us to whittle down all the entries but we simply couldn't have everyone at Beauty Bootcamp. From hundreds of applications, we chose 16 wonderful finalists who we couldn't wait to meet in person.
We whisked all 16 finalists up to Manchester to lookfantastic HQ for Beauty Bootcamp to help us choose the next additions to The Beauty Set.
lookfantastic Beauty Bootcamp
We chose to split Beauty Bootcamp over two days so we could get to know each of our finalists a little better. Our existing Beauty Set Members Beth, Sam, Emma, Tabby, Dieulinh and Jamie were all on hand to guide our finalists and give them a little insight into what could be in store for them over the next twelve months.
Each day consisted of challenges and activities all beauty lovers would adore from a flatlay station, where each finalist created their own perfect Instagram-ready picture, to a blind-folded 'Guess the Product' challenge in which everyone had to guess a random beauty product whilst wearing a Slip Silk Eye Mask.
Throughout the day, each Beauty Set finalist was taken into our studio to film one of two videos: a monthly favourites or an unboxing video. We set these challenges to make sure everyone felt totally at ease in front of the camera in preparation for all the filming they will be involved with over the year ahead.
We eased everyone in, asking them what they love most about beauty, what their favourite beauty product was and then we went into filming.
Most of our finalists chose to unbox our very own lookfantastic x Illamasqua Box, swatching and applying each of the products on camera. Others created their own monthly favourites video with products from NYX, Benefit and Clinique and truly showed us their passion for all things beauty.
This is such an exciting opportunity for small influencers, I can't really believe at lookfantastic HQ
After shooting their own video, each of our finalists had their moment in the spotlight and had their very own photoshoot with our resident photographer.
We were so lucky to have Benefit and Clinique on hand on the day to help beautify our finalists and share their wisdom with our finalists. Each shared their tips and tricks on how to look camera ready and use makeup to help you feel more confident.
Camera-ready skin with Clinique
At Beauty Bootcamp, Clinique shared with us and our Beauty Set finalists the secret to flawless, camera-ready skin.
- Cleanse: Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing BalmBeautiful skin starts with a deep cleanse. Take the and the Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush and work over your skin. The balm and brush in combination dissolve all impurities on the skin, soften dead skin cells and remove excess oils on the skin for a beautifully clear, supple complexion.
- Clairfy: This step, according to Clinique, is the difference maker and the secret to flawless skin. Sweep the Clinique Clarifying Lotion over the skin to lift dead skin cells and reveal a radiant, glowing visage.
- Hydrate: When you're in front of the camera, dry patches and uneven texture can be easily picked up. Hydration is therefore essential to ensure your skin looks beautifully clear and even. The girls at Clinique told us to double up on our moisturiser to ensure our skin looks plump and perfected on camera. Start with the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion+ which balances oil and water production and preps your skin for all other products. Follow with the ultra-nourishing Clinique Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto Replenishing Hydrator to plump and smooth the skin.
- Finishing touch: Add an extra spritz of hydration with the Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray. Apply before your makeup or as a finishing spray for a little radiance boost. It can also be used sparingly in your hair as a last minute touch up to tame flyaways and disguise split ends.
Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm 125ml4.72 Stars 218 Reviews£20.00
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion+ 125ml with Pump4.44 Stars 71 Reviews£24.80
Clinique Moisture Surge 100 Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator 30ml5 Stars 3 Reviews£20.00
Confidence-boosting makeup with Benefit
The girls at Benefit were on hand all day to give our finalists a few touch ups and to help them feel their absolute best. We asked them for a few tips on what make they would recommend to help you feel a little more confident.
- A Bold Lip: A bold lip is a simple yet effective way to feel more confident, it's like war paint. Once you apply a bold lip, you feel unstoppable. We love the Benefit Punch Pop Liquid Lip Colour in Cherry for a stunning hot pink lip look.
- Captivating Eyes: Long, fluttery lashes really complete any makeup look and lashings of mascara is the secret to making your eyes stand out on camera. Apply multiple layers of Benefit's BADgal Bang Mascara and feel out of this world.
- Beautiful, glowing skin: Dull, lack-lustre skin is a tell-tale sign of a lack of sleep and a stressed out complexion. Combat dullness in your skin by mixing liquid highlighter into your base for an all over glow. We love mixing Sun Beam with Benefit's Hello Flawless Foundation for a beautifully radiant, healthy-looking complexion.
benefit Punch Pop Liquid Lip Colour 7ml (Various Shades)5 Stars 1 Reviewsfrom£12.40
benefit Badgal Bang Volumising Mascara Black4.39 Stars 133 Reviews£18.80
benefit Sunbeam (10ml)4.6 Stars 15 Reviews£22.00
After shooting videos, getting their own photoshoot and being pampered by Clinique and Benefit, we had to say goodbye to our Beauty Set finalists.
We absolutely loved meeting every single one of them and found it so hard to whittle down to just six Beauty Set members. After much deliberation, we chose six of our favourite finalists to join the lookfantastic family.