You may not like the sound of it, but algae skincare is about to get seriously trendy in the beauty world.
Skincare giant Estée Lauder has produced an entire beauty collection based around algae extract, designed to give you a healthier and more luminous complexion. But just what is algae skincare, and how can this super-green superfood give you visibly better skin?
Algae Skincare: Beauty's New Miracle Ingredient
Don't be freaked out by this slimy and unattractively looking green substance. Algae is actually super nutritious for the skin thanks to its potent blend of vitamins and minerals.
There are actually two different types of Algae: Macroalgae (kelp and seaweed) and Microalgae (single cell microscopic organisms). Both types are excellent at hydrating the skin and improving its ability to retain moisture. Hardly surprising, as algae thrives in water: the most hydrating substance on earth.
Although there are over 20,000 different varieties of algae growing in the oceans, there are actually three main ones used by skincare companies, which hold incredible antioxidant and vitamin power.
Incredibly rich in antioxidants, Brown Algae is excellent at fighting free-radical damage, making it great to use if you live in a city and your skin is exposed to pollution, or if you've had a little too much sun.
- One of our favourite products is the STARSKIN Hydrating Coconut Second-Skin Mask, which thanks to its addition of Brown Algae, is great to use if you have ageing or more mature skin. Not only does the algae also hold incredible hydrating properties, the mask also contains a blend of Coconut Juice, which keeps the skin soft, supple and moisturised.
- One of our newest brand launches is Talika, and we absolutely love it. The Eye Detox comes in a range of shades to match your skin tone, and helps to decongest and detoxify the eye area with its blend of Brown Algae, which also helps to brighten and even out your skin tone.
- One key trait of Brown Algae is its ability to brighten and lighten the skin, making it great to use if you suffer from scarring. The Dermalogica C-12 Pure Bright Serum is formulated with Brown Algae and Rice Peptides to reduce discolouration and keep the skin glowing.
This all-round skincare hero helps to absorb damaging UVA rays, shielding your skin against environmental aggressors, and making it an essential part of your summer skincare routine. Like other species of Algae, it's also an excellent source of antioxidants and even has incredible anti-microbial properties, which work to keep blemishes at bay.
- The Filorga Nutri-Filler Cream contains a blend of Red Algae and Argan Oil to regenerate the skin and restore lost hydration. As it's an anti-ageing product, it's excellent at helping to redefine the contours of your skin and helping to give your complexion a "mini-lift".
- Fight blemishes and sore imperfections with the Origins Super Spot Remover. Red Algae helps to keep the area around the blemish clean to minimise the risk of the spot spreading, and thereby reducing healing time. It also contains the blemish-busting Salicylic Acid to reduce the size and redness of a spot.
- The incredibly powerful Alpha-H Liquid Laser Concentrate helps to keep your skin looking youthful and refined. The Red Algae included in the formula helps to stimulate the skin's own natural production of Hyaluronic Acid to keep your complexion moisturised and healthy.
Packed full of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals, Green Micro-Algae is a skincare powerhouse. One of its key phytochemicals is actually a compound called Astaxanthin, which is one of nature's most powerful ingredients, designed to renew and revitalise any complexion, no matter your skin type.
- Estée Lauder's newest skincare collection, the Nutritious Micro-Algae range is based all around Green Algae. There are 4 products to add into your beauty routine, including the Nutritious Micro-Algae Cleansing Bar, Nutritious Micro-Algae Cleansing Jelly, Nutritious Micro-Algae Shake Tonic, Nutritious Micro-Algae Hydra Lotion.
- Algenist's Algae Brightening Mask is the perfect algae mask to add into your skincare routine. Formulated with Alguronic Acid, which is a potent form of Algae, the mask works to refine your complexion and give your skin a healthy and dewy glow.
- If your skin needs a hit of energy due to age or fatigue, Origins Starting Over Moisturiser is your new beauty best friend. Formulated with Green Algae to feed the skin with the nutrients it needs to stay even and youthful, the cream also contains Fennel Seed to minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.