Beauty forecast for 2014
2013 was a good year for beauty; we added pastel colours to our hair, channelled our inner Cara with a strong brow and attempted the super smokey eyes as seen at DKNY’s AW13 show. With all that and more, it’s fair to say there was always something new to try and we picked up some valuable lessons in the process. But, with another calendar year comes another round of hair and beauty trends for us to sink our teeth into, so we’ve rounded up our top 10 looks to keep an eye out for in 2014.
1. A refreshing change and a look we can all recreate, the “no make-up make-up” look, as seen on the models at Balmain, is huge this season. We recommend investing in good quality skincare, like the Benefit Radiance Skincare Set, and opting for a hydrating ‘barely there’ base, such as the L’Oreal Paris Nude Magique CC Cream, that will even out your complexion and cover up any blemishes.
2. The reverse manicure (or moon mani as it’s sometimes known!) is perfect for those that want to do something a bit different with their nails, but haven’t got the time or patience for crazy patterns. Simply paint your nails nude or white, and fill in the nail bed with a contrasting neutral. Making the look even easier, are these gorgeous Henry Holland for Elegant Touch false nails in ‘Classy Nude’.
3. The bob is officially here to stay in 2014, only this time it’s even blunter and super choppy – with a short fringe if you dare! Keep yours trimmed to perfection and looking healthy with these Glamtech Professional Scissors.
4. Your inner nineties girl will be a big fan of this trend, and thanks to the models on the Marc at Marc Jacobs catwalk, blue eyeshadow is back and brighter than ever! The Urban Decay De Luxe Eyeshadow in the stunning shade Peace Peace is perfect for this look.
5. As seen on the models at Topshop Unique, Christopher Kane and Calvin Klein, mermaid waves are an effortless hair trend that require minimal fuss and even less products. Treat yourself to this Bumble and Bumble: The Tousled Two-Step Gift Set and add some movement and volume to your hair in an instant.
6. Steady hand at the ready! Everyone’s favourite eye make-up trend is here for another year, and to create the iconic cat eye look, all you’ll need is a good liquid eyeliner (and preferably a dressing table to lean on!). We especially love this Maybelline New York Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner in black (what else?)
7. There’s something about super sleek hair that just screams sophistication. This may not be a look for everyone, but slicked down hair certainly means business. Try parting hair to the side, smoothing down with the L’Oreal Professionnel Mythic Oil and securing in a low ponytail for an office friendly version of the look.
8. Bright orange lips with a hint of red are going to be huge this year, and we love the Bellapierre Cosmetics Mineral Lipsticks for their silky texture and long-lasting coverage. Give the shade Mandarina a go for this particular trend!
9. Hair chalks hit the scene big time last year, and with these latest offerings from L’Oreal Professionnel, it doesn’t look like they are going anywhere just yet. Our favourites are First Date Violet and Blue Ocean Cruise for adding a fun pop of colour to your hair!
10. In a sea of bright lipsticks, colourful hair and statement eyeliner, sometimes it’s nice to strip one part of your look back to basics. Tipped to be this summer’s key trend, white nails are perfect for bringing your look bang up to date. We especially love Essie’s Blanc; a true, bright white that is perfectly opaque in two coats.
So that’s it for our 2014 beauty forecast! Will you be trying any?
Guest blogger – Eve