We managed to catch up with James Pecis when he was working backstage at London Fashion Week, to ask him to share some of his hairstyling secrets with us.
James Pecis started working in the hair industry in his teens in San Francisco before heading to New York in 2004.
Since then he has worked with hair styling giants like Bumble & Bumble and KMS California, working backstage and on magazine editorials for brands like Meadham Kirchoff and Vogue Paris.
His trademark style is all about natural texture and shape, with amazing plaits and braids. This is right on trend for this season, so we're very excited to hear his tips!
We caught up with James backstage at the Bora Aksu SS17 show, where he and his team were creating the pretty and whimsical hairstyles going down the catwalk.
We asked him a few quickfire questions about his favourite products and trick as well as the trends of the seasons.
- Q What hair product is your secret weapon during fashion week?
- A Hair spray is an absolute backstage must for all the shows. KMS California’s HAIRSTAY Medium Hold Spray is great, with the perfect workable hold.
- Q What is your favourite trend of the season?
- A Hair accessories seem to already be big and we are only at the start of the season. We have also been doing a lot of tucking, twisting and rolling in different ways. I think we will see a lot more of this through the rest of the season.
- Q Who is your fashion or beauty icon?
- A I think Michèle Lamy (the wife of fashion designer Rick Owens) has a very cool style. She is beautiful, confident, kind, and true to herself. An extremely clever and creative eye.
- Q What are your hair essentials for this Autumn?
- A Easy, playable texture is everything right now. It does not matter if you are doing a twisted roll or a textured bun; texture and traction are a must. I love KMS California’s HAIRPLAY Playable Texture – it is an easy way of creating texture in the hair without stickiness; my secret to getting that effortless look.