If you suffer from skin sensitivity, it can be difficult to find products that don’t irritate or anger your already sore and inflamed skin, especially when it comes to suncare, which naturally contains more chemicals than most skincare due to its UV filters.
Brands such as La Roche-Posay and Vichy however, have been working with dermatologists for years and developing the best sunscreens for sensitive skin that don’t cause redness or irritation. Now, more brands than ever are recognising the need to provide sun protection for sensitive skin types, and we have rounded up 10 of our favourites below.
What is sensitive skin?
Sensitive skin varies from person to person, but there are some key signs to look out for, which can you help you self-diagnose if you suffer from any degree of sensitivity.
- Skin feels tight or uncomfortable (especially after trying new products)
- Sore or sensitive to the touch
- Goes red easily
- Needs a lot of extra hydration in the colder months
- Becomes itchy, red or blotchy after using common irritants like fragrance
- Turns red after a hot shower
If you experience any of the above symptoms, it’s likely that you do suffer from sensitive skin, which can be easily treated with gentle and minimal ingredient products. However, if you are suffering from severe sensitivity, it’s always best to check in with your doctor to see if there is an underlying condition.
Sensitive skin types should always opt for products without common irritants like fragrance, parabens, silicones and sulphates, and always make sure to check that it has been dermatologically tested, which means the product has been reviewed by a skin specialist.
What are the 10 best sunscreens for sensitive skin?
- Darphin Intral Environmental Lightweight Shield
- Ultasun Professional for very sensitive skin
- Vichy Ideal Soleil Velvety BB Cream
- Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield
- Murad City Skin Age Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50
- Ultrasun SPF 30 Family Sun Lotion
- Piz Buin Allergy Sun Sensitive Skin Spray SPF 50
- Vichy Ideal Soleil Face and Body Milk SPF 50
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Body Lotion SPF 50
- Clinique SPF 40 Body Cream
For the face
First up is Darphin’s Intral Environmental Lightweight Shield, which has an SPF of 50; one of the highest factors you can buy. Specially formulated for sensitive skin, it contains a blend of wheat proteins and mineral UV filters to form a breathable shield over the skin. The whole Intral collection from Darphin is perfect for sensitive skin as it helps to reduce redness, irritation and dehydration.