We are always inspired by women in business, and this comes as no exception with Rose-Marie Swift, founder of RMS Beauty.
Leading the way with healthy and luxury makeup, Rose-Marie Swift is at the forefront or natural innovation, and to top it all off, she's besties with Miranda Kerr. That's definitely a squad we want to be a part of.
If you haven't heard of RMS Beauty before, or want to know a little more about the brand, you can read all about their story on our blog.
A Q&A with Rose-Marie Swift, founder of RMS Beauty
- Q How did the idea for RMS Beauty come to you?
- A My original idea was to start with skincare, but the market was so saturated with skincare products that it didn't leave much to the imagination. At that time mineral lines were the big thing colour wise, but in reality minerals tend to dehydrate the skin terribly and over time you are actually ageing the skin. Visually it makes the skin look old, particularity on mature skin. I decided to do a colour line using the concept of raw skincare (organic ingredients that have not be adulterated and fractionated) with mineral colour combined. My stint as a raw foodist years ago taught me so much about the healing properties of oils and butters in their purest form (before refinement and fractionation). I realised that these were superior ingredients and would definitely be the best base for colour makeup. That in itself would solve the dehydration problems causes by powdered minerals alone. The perfect combination between oil and minerals had to be accomplished and I began accomplishing that. I feel it captures the concept of rouge/creams from the 40's and 50's with the frosted glass pots and metal lids.
- Q What does it mean to be a woman in business?
- A It means you have to fight like crazy (believe me) and not deviate from your vision, have a gut like steel and know your product inside and out. Be prepared for road blocks, and there will be some. Women are still not respected in big business but women are better at running businesses and profiting.
- Q What sets the brand apart from other makeup and skincare brands?
- A RMS Beauty is the first makeup of its kind to really live up to the true word “ORGANIC.” It is becoming both an inspiration for. and example of a new direction the beauty industry is taking. I honestly believe that chemicals are redefining what beauty is in today’s cosmetic industry, and that is not acceptable. I have been passionate about creating ‘healthy’ beauty for years during my makeup career. In 2009 it lead to the creation of RMS Beauty. it is really the first truly organic colour cosmetic line combining healthy ingredients with unparalleled luxury and elevating it far beyond the “green” standard. My innovative natural cream range is not only 100% free of harmful chemicals, but also works to heal and nourish the skin with healthy and beautifying results, truly making it “skincare with mineral colour.” Selection of the highest quality raw ingredients is based on cultivation and processing criteria that sets this line apart from others.
- Q Would you like to develop the skincare side of RMS?
- A I would, but at this point the market is so saturated that is would be hard to compete so for the time being I will happily remain a colour brand. But who knows what will happen in the future!
- Q You are good friends with Miranda Kerr, have you learnt anything from her and vice versa?
- A Of course, we always learn and if we think we don’t need to continue learning then you would have a serious problem. The mind needs to be open as there is new information around every corner.
- Q What is your one beauty mantra?
- A Definitely less is more!
- Q The Living Luminizer is one of the industry’s cult products: is it better applied with fingers or a brush?
- Q What is your desert island staple
- A My Raw Coconut Cream hands down, as I use it for everything. Moisturiser, sunburn cream, makeup remover, cleanser, hair conditioner, oil to clean the teeth and mouth wash, shaving my legs, deodorant. I eat it for health as well as feed it to my dog too, and even cook with it. Coconut oil uses are endless. This natural antioxidant is 100% organic, raw and unrefined, aiding in its protective powers against free radical damage—otherwise known as premature ageing. Coconut oil contains high levels of lauric acid, which has antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties, making it suitable for even the most blemish-prone skin. Please note that not just any store bought oil is equal to ours. RMS Beauty is superior over most coconut oils.
- Q What is the best piece of advice you have been given?
- A Own your brand outright and avoid investors as long as you can.
- Q Do you have any advice for aspiring female entrepreneurs?
- A Never take “no” for an answer.
You can read all of our Powerful Women features on the blog for career and beauty inspiration.