Botanical skincare is on the rise, so it's only natural that botanical makeup would follow suit.
Formulated with healthy ingredients and active botanicals, good-for-you makeup helps to feed the skin with nutrients, all while it evens out your complexion and gives your skin a glowing luminosity.
Botanical Ingredients To Look Out For...
When it comes to choosing botanical makeup, where do you begin? There are lots of phrases and ingredients you should look out for that help to enrich your skin and give your complexion a gorgeous, dewy finish.
- Hyaluronic Acid - This super hydrating ingredient holds 1000 x its own weight in water, making it an essential compound to look for if you have dry or dehydrated skin. As makeup can dry out your complexion, opting for products which contain Hyaluronic Acid can counteract this and make sure it stays well moisturised. The Stila Aqua Glow Serum Foundation is the perfect base for dehydrated skin types as it contains Hyaluronic Acid to keep the skin glowing.
- Green Tea - Packed full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, Green Tea helps to shield your skin against environmental aggressors. Look out for lipsticks and lip products which contain this ingredient as the skin on your lips is incredibly thin, and needs an extra boost of protection. Chantecaille's Brilliant Lip Gloss is super hydrating thanks to its unique jelly system, while the blend of Green Tea helps to keep the lips nourished.
- Grape Seed Extract - This super nourishing ingredient is found in a lot of skincare products, but is now making its way into makeup. It helps to keep the skin looking smooth and the complexion glowing, making it perfect to use if your skin has been looking a little dull lately. Try Daniel Sandler's Watercolour Creme Rouge Blusher, which has a blend of vitamins and Grape Seed Extract to condition the skin and make your complexion appear super smooth.
- Rosehip Extract - This antioxidant powerhouse is a great all-round ingredient to use no matter your skin type. Its packed full of Vitamin C so helps to keep your complexion energised and radiant. Try the Trifle Cosmetics Sponge Bronzer, which not only contains Rosehip, but a blend of Goji Berry and Aloe Vera too, to nourish and protect the skin.
What is the Best Healthy and Botanical Makeup?
When it comes to botanical makeup, some brands are at the top of their game. With mineral-infused makeup, and healthy-for-you ingredients, look out for the below brands if you'd like to give your beauty routine a botanical overhaul.
Your bareMinerals Beauty Routine
At the heart of bareMinerals is an ethos for healthy makeup, so it's little wonder that they utilise a blend of botanical ingredients too.
- Start by perfecting your complexion with the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue. Formulated with Marine Botanicals and Heart-Leaf Globe Daisy, the tinted gel-cream helps to even-out your skin tone, all while infusing it with hydration and shielding it against environmental aggressors.
- Flush your cheeks with a pop of colour from the bareMinerals Ready Blush in French Kiss. Infused with Camellia Oil, the blush helps to soften and smooth your skin and make your complexion appear healthy and well-rested.
- To finish off your look, swipe the bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipgloss. Made with a blend of botanical ingredients and exotic oils, the lipgloss adds a lovely wash of colour to your lips, all while keeping them well moisturised, and with no stickiness in sight.
The NARS Botanical Beauties
You might not have one of the leading colour artistry brands down as being botanical, but NARS are actually one of the healthiest leading makeup brands. Formulated without chemical nasties such as alcohol and fragrance, each NARS product not only enhances your complexion, but enriches your skin too with its blend of active botanicals.
- The NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturiser is the perfect everyday complexion base. Made with mineral-rich Seawater and botanicals, the tinted moisturiser evens out your skin tone and adds a beautifully dewy finish.
- Don't forget that every makeup routine needs a makeup remover. The NARS Makeup Removing Water contains Cucumber and Chamomile to nourish the skin and gently wipe away makeup, oil, dirt and impurities. Its soothing formula is ideal for all skin types thanks to its gentle action.
- While you may only think of makeup as being for your face, you can actually use makeup on your body too. Although the NARS Monoi Body Glow isn't technically classed as a makeup product, it does the same things by helping to even out your tone and give your skin a healthy golden and luminous glow.
Pixi's Botanical Treats
Pixi is well known for its healthy approach to both skincare and makeup. Their famous Glow Tonic not only helps to refine your complexion with its blend of acids, but also contains soothing botanicals to keep the skin protected and glowing.
- The Pixi Illuminating Tint and Conceal is a multitasking makeup miracle. With a tinted moisturiser on one end, and a concealer on the other, it's the ultimate handbag essential to keeping your complexion looking healthy on the go. Plus, it's formulated with both botanicals and vitamins to enrich your skin as it perfects.
- It can be quite hard to find a bronzer that you can use anytime, anywhere without it looking like you've applied mud to your face, but Pixi's Quick Fix Bronzer ticks all the boxes. Infused with Mango Juice Extract and Aloe Vera, the bronzer hydrates your skin as it adds a flush of warmth to your skin, and helps to soothe irritated complexions.
- It's hard to believe that an eyeshadow can be formulated with active botanicals, but your eye area is one of the most important places to put healthy ingredients as the skin is super smooth and can be easily irritated. The Pixi Fairy Dust Eyeshadow contains a blend of Pearl Powder, and active botanicals to add luminosity to the eyes, without compromising on skin health.