As a beauty journalist (and self-professed skincare connoisseur), I take my routine very seriously. I’ve truly tried it all, and found there’s nothing quite like investing in luxury skincare to make your complexion feel like a million pounds.
Now I’ve hit my mid 20’s, my skincare goals aren’t what they used to be. Sure, the basics are still the same – hydration, smoothness and radiance being top of the list – but I’m also looking for plumping power from my favourite products, devoted to tackling those first signs of ageing.
Enter Guerlain with the Abeille Royale range. Guerlain know a thing or two about luxury, results-driven skincare. Featuring exclusive technologies, each product is designed to refine fine lines and encourage a plump, healthy-looking complexion.
When Guerlain asked me to put the routine to the test, there was only one answer. So, without further ado, here are my first impressions of the Abeille Royale routine…
4 steps to plump, healthy-looking skin
Step 1 – Abeille Royale Youth Watery Oil
First thing's first - you need to cleanse. I typically go for something gentle and lightweight that will preserve my moisture barrier while leaving my skin clean and fresh, like the Guerlain Abeille Royale Cleansing Oil. Next, I apply the Advanced Youth Watery Oil to a clean, dry complexion.
I’m impressed from the first use. The design is opulence in itself – a slender glass bottle with a pipette applicator, and inside? Efficient, gold-toned pearls filled with honey for an instant surge of moisture. The silky texture is so lightweight you can barely feel it sinking in, plus it avoids leaving a tacky or sticky residue you can sometimes find with facial oils.
My skin definitely discovers a newfound glow after applying this oil – likely a result of the Dynamic BlackBee Repair technology, which combines black bee honey from Ouessant Island, plus three other honeys from Corsica, Ikaria and Åland. Can you say… exclusive?
- Shake the bottle to ensure the correct amount of pearls per application.
- Using the palms of your hands, smooth 2-3 drops into the skin, starting in the middle of the face and moving outwards.
- Re-plump by making fists with your hands, place them on your cheeks, then make upward rotating movements.
This eye serum is the newest addition to the Abeille Royale range. Like its parent (the facial serum), it features a dual-chamber design, pairing a gel-like formula with a rich, silky cream.
After mixing the two chambers together in my palm, the eye serum takes on a pearlescent tone. When I apply it to my under-eyes, I’m treated to an instant brightening effect. An illuminated eye contour is one thing, but the fact my eyes don’t seem quite as dark and sunken is really something else. I’m hoping after a few weeks of use that the serum will start to soften my fine lines too!
LIFT THE EYE AREA
- Placing your arm behind your head, position three fingers on the opposite temple, then slide your fingertips horizontally outwards. Place the three fingers of your second hand below the first hand, with your fingertips opposite each other. Slide your six fingers vertically outwards (up or down depending on the hand) over the entire crow’s feet area.
- Place your middle finger under the brow and your ring finger under the eye. In a scissors position, slide towards the temples to open up the eyes. Stop at the temples and smooth outwards with both fingers.
- Place the base of your palm under each eye and smooth the eye contour in an outward direction. With each sweep, place the product on the lashes with the rest of the palm.
Nothing could prepare me for the power of this serum. The bottle itself is extremely unique – it features a dual-chamber design, housing a honey-hued liquid gel on one side and an opaque cream on the other. I warm the serum up in my hands for a few seconds before applying to my skin.
Offering an advanced, radiance-peeling effect, thanks to resurfacing AHAs and PHAs, plus a radiance-reviving white honey concentrate, the serum glides across my skin. I typically struggle with uneven texture so I had high hopes for the dual-action formula – and it did not disappoint. I can’t believe how soft my complexion feels – the night after I first used it, I couldn’t stop touching my face.
I also note how bright and healthy my skin looks the next morning – it has almost a dewy quality, which is a pretty rare experience for me. This resurfacing serum definitely gets my seal of approval.
- Warm up the texture between your fingertips to mix the two formulas.
- Provide a new skin effect. Make smoothing movements over the cheeks and cheekbones working outwards with the fingertips. Continue the smoothing movements over the forehead, nose and neck.
- Resculpt. Using both hands, uplift the skin of your jaw, cheeks and forehead.
Step 4 – Abeille Royale Day Cream
Promising brighter days ahead, the Abeille Royale Day Cream provides the perfect finishing touch to any skincare routine. The brand’s iconic BlackBee Repair Technology combines with a vitamin C derivative to help tone the skin while rewarding skin a newfound radiance.
The sensorially-smooth texture applies comfortably and evenly, and is much more lightweight than I was expecting. What’s more, it’s suitable for all skin types – including sensitive.
Shop the rest of the Abeille Royale Collection...