Post Last Updated: 05/06/2023
Sometimes the most simple of techniques can be the most effective.
When it comes to exfoliating and resurfacing the skin on your body, many believe that all you need is a body brush. Many of us probably already own one but aren't too sure how to use them or what they are good for.
Dry brushing is known to cure a myriad of skin complaints. With it's ability to transform dull, dehydrated skin and significantly reduce the appearance of cellulite, dry brushing is making a comeback. It's time to dig out your body brush and transform your skin.
What is Dry Body Brushing and What are the Benefits?
A combination of thorough exfoliation and massage, dry body brushing involves moving a dry, natural brush over the body in long, pressured strokes. The ancient technique lifts and buffs away dead skin cells, encourages lymph node drainage and increases circulation.
Dry brushing is a particularly wonderful technique for those who suffer from cellulite and uneven skin texture. The tough, natural bristles of body brushes deeply massage the skin, working to soften any hard fat deposits that may lie below the skin's surface and cause uneven texture.
By softening these deposits, body brushing encourages the fat to distribute more evenly, allowing your skin to appear softer and smoother as dimples and bumps associated with cellulite are visibly reduced.
Dry skin brushing can also be equally beneficial for your general health and wellbeing. By encouraging the drainage of your lymph nodes, dry-brushing helps to stimulate the normal lymph flow in your body, detoxifying it naturally. Eliminating bacteria and toxins in the blood, incorporating dry body-brushing into your routine can help to suppress toxin build up which leads to cellulite, uneven skin texture and skin discolouration.
Stimulating the lymphatic system with body-brushing is also known to aid and strengthen your immune system, promoting your overall health and wellbeing.
How to Dry Body Brush in 5 Steps
It is easy to incorporate body brushing into your routine. By body-brushing little and often, for a short amount of time each morning, you will notice a significant difference in not only the appearance and texture of your skin but also your mood as body brushing acts as an all-natural energy boost by stimulating blood flow and circulation.
- Take a wooden, natural fibre body brush such as the ESPA Skin Brush. Made from natural bristles from Mexican cactus plants, the ESPA Skin Brush is perfect for deeply massaging and cleansing.
- Using long, smooth stokes, take the body brush and move over your skin, starting at your feet and moving upwards towards your heart. Be careful not to 'scrub' the skin, long even stokes are best for your circulation and lymphatic system.
- Vary pressure depending on the sensitivity of your skin. If your skin is particularly delicate, use a lighter hand when body brushing.
- Follow your body brush routine with a bath or shower to cleanse the skin.
- After cleansing, replenish the moisture your skin may have lost with a rich, soothing body moisturiser. We love using the La Roche Posay Intense Repair Moisturising Cream after thorough exfoliation to nourish and protect the skin.
Shop all Body Brushes on LOOKFANTASTIC today!