Concealer is the ultimate confidence-boosting makeup essential. Whether you’ve got a bulging breakout making you not want to leave the house, or you battle with softening the appearance of dark circles every morning, the right concealer can help camouflage unwanted redness and even out your complexion.
With so many concealers available in varying shades, consistency, buildability and longevity, it can be difficult to find the best concealer for your skin type or skin complaint. Well fear not as our makeup experts have rounded up the very best concealers from leading brand such as NARS, Bobbi Brown, Barry M and more to make choosing a new concealer easy.
Choosing The Right Concealer
Depending on what you’re trying to achieve, it’s important that you choose the right concealer for the job. There are a few factors to consider, for example, your skin type. If you have dry skin, then a creamy concealer will work best. If you have oily skin, a matte concealer will work best. You also need to consider the tone of the concealer.
- A green-tinted concealer is typically used to help counter redness, especially around the nose.
- An orange-tinted concealer is helpful in covering dark circles which tend to be purple or blue in tone.
- A yellow concealer will help to have a brightening effect on dull complexions.
How To Effectively Apply Concealer
Concealer forms part of your base makeup routine, along with foundation and setting powder. For concealer to work its magic, your skin needs to be moisturised and free of any dry patches.
If your skin is not properly prepared, concealer can actually exaggerate the areas you’re trying to mask. You can use a dedicated concealer brush, or a beauty blender to dot the concealer onto your face and build up to the desired coverage. Always set your concealer with a powder to ensure it’s locked in place and prevent concealer creasing.
Which Are The Best Concealers?
- The Ordinary Concealer
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer
- Maybelline Erase Eye Concealer
- NYX Professional Makeup HD Photogenic Concealer Wand
- MAC Pro Longwear Concealer
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer
- benefit Concealer
- Barry M All Night Long Concealer
- Too Faced Born This Way Super Coverage Concealer
- Bobbi Brown Creamy Corrector
Our makeup experts have tried and tested the very best concealers that offer a flawless finish every time.
The Ordinary Concealer is a high coverage concealer that delivers a natural finish. The formula applies smoothly and works to disguise dark circles and blemishes without creasing. Available in 21 shades, the range is split into shades for lighter skin tones, medium skin tones and dark/deep skin tones so you’ll be sure to find a concealer that suits you.