Healthy and happy skin requires a lot of components to stay looking, well, healthy and happy. 8 hours of sleep, a balanced diet, exercise and a good skincare routine are all important factors in achieving that lusted-after glow. With the right ingredients you can really make your skincare go the extra mile, which is why we have selected 7 of the best antioxidants you need for glowing skin.
The best antioxidants for healthy skin
Known as the "brightening antioxidant", Vitamin C is essential to keeping your skin healthy and glowing. It helps to shield against environmental and external aggressors to prevent free radical damage, whilst also encouraging natural collagen production.
- Clinique's Fresh Pressed is a 7-day treatment which comes complete with a cleanser and daily booster, both of which are enriched with Vitamin C. Immediately brightening and hydrating, the duo help to shield pollution and keep your skin healthy and youthful.
- Vichy's LiftActiv Vitamin C Skin Brightening Corrector is a powerful treatment formulated with 15% pure Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid to hydrate and illuminate the skin. Free from nasties and also hypoallergenic, it's suitable for all skin types to brighten and correct the complexion.
Found predominantly in tomatoes, lycopene is a cartenoid which provides the red colour to plants and helps to prevent damage caused by light. As such, it's considered to be a natural defense against UV damage, whilst also preventing environmental aggressors from causing breakouts and clogged pores.
Before you start eating kilograms of tomatoes and ditching the sunscreen (which you should never do), start introducing lycopene -rich skincare into your beauty routine, alongside your SPF for a truly protected complexion.
- Micellar technology shows no signs of slowing down, which is why we love the Yes to Tomatoes Detoxifying Charcoal Micellar Cleansing Water. That, and the fact it's enriched with lycopene-rich tomato and deep-cleansing charcoal for a super revitalising cleanse.
- For an indulgent treat, try the Chantecaille Nano Gold Energizing Eye Serum. It's made with 24 karat gold and Lycoskin, derived from tomato stem cells, which also help to brighten tired and puffy eyes.
Known for giving carrots, pumpkins and mangoes their bright-orange hue, beta carotene is an antioxidant that is converted into Vitamin A; otherwise known as retinol. Vitamin A helps to keep the skin healthy and youthful thanks to its super powerful ability to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
It's also great for people with topical skin conditions such as dehydration, eczema and psoriasis as it aids in the healing of damaged skin tissue.
- Darphin's Hydrating Kiwi Mask contains extracts of kiwi, mango and pomegranate to give a super powerful kick to the skin. Perfect for all skin types, it gives a lovely dewy glow to the complexion and helps to keep it protected against enviromental aggressors.
- The Pestle & Mortar Renew Gel Cleanser is ideal for all skin types, but especially for dull, fatigued and breakout-prone. Mango and papaya enzymes help to decongest and gently exfoliate away dead skin cells, whilst also improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles thanks to the presence of beta carotene.
One of the most common antioxidants in skincare, Vitamin E often gets overlooked in its abilites when newer, more exciting ingredients come onto the market. It is however one of the most powerful antioxidants when it comes to keeping the skin healthy. It helps in shielding external aggressors like pollution from the skin, so it stays healthy and youthful for longer. It's definitely a must-have skincare ingredient if you live in a busy city where your skin needs extra protection. Discover more about what makes it so great here.
- Apply the DECLÉOR Lavandula Iris Night Balm overnight to help heal the skin as you sleep. It contains a blend of encapsulated essential oils which burst when applied onto the skin to release a calming fragrance, while Vitamin E helps to nourish, soothe and protect.
- If your skin is in need of a little treatment boost, try the Dermalogica Age Smart Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque. It contains a cocktail of vitamins and antioxidants to repair damaged skin and increase its elasticity for a renewed and more youthful appearance.
Antioxidant-rich, flavonoids are powerhouses for the skin. A type of "polyphenol", flavonoids are present in plants and help to keep them protected against UV damage. When used on the skin, they can help reduce the damaging effects of sunlight on the skin, ranging from sunburn, accelerated ageing and pigmentation. Make sure you always use a flavonoid-rich product in conjunction with your regular SPF; you should never remove a sunscreen from your routine.
- The Origins A Perfect World Antioxidant Treatment Lotion is rich in white tea which helps to keep the skin protected against environmental aggressors including pollutants. Sweep over the skin morning and night after cleansing for a hydrating glow.
- For a refreshing treat, add the STARSKIN SILKMUD Green Tea Sheet Mask into your beauty routine. It contains a blend of protective green tea, alongside kaolin clay and bentonite for a deep cleanse that helps to decongest, refine and purify.
Predominantly found in green tea, catechins are extemely powerful types of polyphenols that help to fight the damaging effects of free radicals on the skin. Working to reduce visible fine lines and wrinkles, catechins are some of the most powerful antioxidants in the fight against accelerated skin ageing.
- Try adding the Perricone MD Super Greens Capsules into your daily routine. Rich in catechins from green tea, they also containd a blend of probiotics to help and improve gut health for an all-round healthier complexion.
- For an intensive body treatment, try the Mio Skincare Skin Tight Body Serum. Rich in green tea, it also contains antioxidant-packed pomegranate seed extract for a super powerful skincare blend. Massage into the body for firmer and more toned skin over time.
One of the most powerful antioxidants you can use on your skin, it's a type of polyphenol which helps to prevent damage and repair the skin from external aggressors and environmental stress. Found in the skin of red grapes, it can also help to shield the skin against free radical damage from pollution and particulate matter.
- Use the Caudalie Resveratrol Lift Night Infusion Cream as part of your evening skincare routine. It contains resveratrol and hyaluronic acid to support and protect the skin whilst also infusing it with intense moisture.
- If you like K-Beauty and lengthy skincare routines, try using the Shiffa Rejuvenating Ampoule. It's formulated with resveratrol to fight fine lines and wrinkles, while red seaweed helps to revitalise stressed-out skin and leave the complexion with a gorgeous dewy glow.