Post last updated: 26/09/2023
Finding the right foundation to suit oily skin can be a challenge. A foundation with a mattifying finish will help to balance the complexion and control the appearance of unwanted oils and shine throughout the day. However, it can be difficult to find a foundation that achieves this effect without drying the skin, thereby making it feel uncomfortable and look cakey.
We have curated an edit of 10 of the best matte foundations for oily skin, that we have tried and tested and can confirm are the best face bases if you suffer from excess oil and unwanted shine. These foundations are formulated specifically for oily and combination skin types and provide long-lasting wear through breathable formulas that are easy to blend and build upon.
Our Picks of the Best Foundations for Oily Skin
- Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation
- Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation SPF15
- IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Oil-Free Matte SPF40
- Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Luminous Matte Foundation with SPF 39
- NARS Soft Matte Complete Foundation
- bareMinerals Matte SPF15 Foundation
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation
- Lancôme TeintIdôle Ultra Wear 24H Foundation
- Clinique Anti Blemish Solutions Liquid Makeup
- Revlon ColorStay Make-Up Foundation for Combination/Oily Skin
Shop All Matte Foundations for Oily Skin on LOOKFANTASTIC
How to Apply Foundation to Oily Skin
If you have oily skin, use these essential products within your makeup routine to reduce the appearance of shine and enhance the longevity of your complexion makeup for all day wear.
- Mattifying primer - try The Ordinary High-Adherence Silicone Primer, which hydrates, mattifies and smoothes the skin for optimum makeup application.
- Use a matte or oil-free foundation - (see our top picks below).
- Powder - try Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder, which combats unwanted shine and oily finishes, keeping your skin matte all day, while still boasting a subtle luminosity.
- Setting spray - try the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray as a final barrier against potential shine.
- Blotting paper - try using the DHC Blotting Paper throughout the day to absorb excess oil if your skin becomes a little too shiny.