Post last updated: 15/02/2023
Finding foundation for oily skin can be difficult. On one hand, you need a mattifying finish with oil-control properties, and on the other you don't want your skin to become dry and your makeup cakey throughout the day.
Is Powder or Liquid Foundation Best for Oily Skin?
Powder foundations are great as they have a mattifying effect and leave oily skin with a shine-free finish. Liquid foundations can potentially clog pores which could lead to breakouts, particularly if you are prone to acne, however over the years, lightweight liquid foundations have grown in popularity as their formula tend to be water-based so they can give buildable coverage without clogging up pores.
Our Picks of the Best Foundations for Oily Skin
- Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation
- Yves Saint Laurent All Hours Foundation Stick
- NYX Proessional Makeup Stay Matte But Not Flat Liquid Foundation
- bareMinerals BAREPRO Liquid Foundation
- Clinique Anti Blemish Solutions Liquid Makeup
- Sleek MakeUp Lifeproof Foundation
- Urban Decay All Nighter Liquid Foundation
- NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint
- MAC Pro Longwear SPF 10 Foundation
- Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation
How to Prep Oily Skin for Foundation and Makeup
If you have oily skin, you may be wondering how to keep foundation from rubbing off; so to ensure your skin is well prepped before applying foundation, you will need a few essentials:
- A mattifying primer - Primer helps to keep your makeup in place and control oil production. Try the NYX Professional Makeup Angel Veil Skin Perfecting Primer, which helps to minimise shine for a mattified finish,
The Best Mattifying Primers for Oily Skin
Balance and perfect your complexion with our edit of the best primers for oily skin. Keep oils at bay and enhance the longevity of your foundation with our favourite products from benefit, Bobbi Brown and Cover FX.
- An oil-free foundation (see our top picks below).
- Powder to set makeup - This helps to keep foundation in place for longer. Try Illamasqua's Loose Powder, which helps to absorb excess oil for a shine-free finish.
- Setting spray - This acts as a final barrier against potential shine. It doesn't get better than Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray.
- Blotting papers - These are great to use throughout the day if your skin becomes a little too shiny. Try the Shiseido Oil Control Blotting Paper, which helps to absorb excess oil without disrupting your foundation.
Best full coverage makeup for oily and acne prone skin
Follow this step-by-step guide to discover how to create the perfect camouflage makeup look for acne-prone, oily or redness prone skin.
Which Foundation is Best if you Have Oily Skin?
We have selected 10 of the best foundations for oily skin, which we have tried and tested and can confirm are the best face bases if you suffer from a little excess shine.
Shop all Foundations on LOOKFANTASTIC