A smoky eye is a classic makeup look that everyone should master. We’ve already shared some basic tips but now we’ve paired up with Illamasqua to show you how to ramp it up for a more dramatic look. It is so simple and so effective.
Step by Step Dramatic Smoky Eye Makeup
There are a few secrets to getting your eye makeup to have a little bit of extra drama; just watch the video for all the tips from the expert makeup artists at Illamasqua.
- Start with a bold base. Instead of choosing a neutral base to your smoky eye, cover your lids in a pop of brighter colour. Here we used a rich coppery orange as our foundation shade.
- Choose a light highlight. This helps to keep the look from being too heavy by widening up the eye area. Sweep under the brow bone and into the inner corner of the eye.
- Go for mattes to define. A neutral matte will add shadow to the crease along the eye socket and a dark matte will blend the shadow shade and your bold base together for a beautifully defined look.
- Gel liner is your best friend. For a rich, dark lash-line, a gel liner is perfect. Apply it along the top lash line and blend out for a dark smoky eye.
- Blending is key. For that professional finish, blending is essential. At every step, just use a fluffy brush to soften everything so you have no harsh lines.
- Shimmer makes for drama. To make everything a little richer, popping a touch of shimmer pigment just on the middle of the lid where the light hits is the ideal finishing touch.
- Don’t be scared of pairing with a bold lip. A dark, rich lip that ties in with the tones of your smoky eye can bring out the richness and drama so if you want to be bold, go for it.