Not so much a trend but a global movement that’s here to stay, Waterless Beauty is becoming the new norm in the beauty industry. Yet again leading the way in the industry, the movement started in Korea where brands started seeing not only the environmental benefits of removing water from skincare products, but also the benefits on the skin; with water taking up a huge 70% of most skincare formulas on average, removing this made space for more of the active ingredients such as oils, botanicals and vitamins, which were found to be more nourishing and hydrating for the skin.
What is waterless beauty?
As you probably guessed from the name, waterless beauty refers to beauty products that don’t use water in their formulas. With the main ingredient of most beauty products being listed as ‘Aqua’, this leaves a lot more room for more active skincare ingredients and also helps to reduce the gallons of water used in the beauty industry each year to help with the worldwide demand.
What are the main benefits of a waterless beauty routine?
- It saves water! We can’t stress to you enough that we should all be adopting a more sustainable beauty routine. Reducing your water consumption through your products is a great place to start. For more tips on how you can create a more environmentally friendly routine read our edit of ‘How to make your beauty routine more sustainable‘.
- It’s better for your skin: Although a splash of water may feel refreshing and moisten the skin temporarily, in the long run it can dry it out. Using oils and ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid are a much better option for long-term skin health.
- It keeps pores clear: Hard water can also interfere with your skin’s natural oils which can lead to an imbalance leading to clogged pores.
- It keeps skin looking youthful: The free radicals in water can damage the skin’s collagen production (what keeps our skin plump and elasticated). Therefore by removing water from your beauty routine, your skin is better able to maintain healthy collagen levels to maintain a more youthful and fuller complexion.
- It lasts longer: With the water removed, skincare products are often much more potent meaning that a little goes a long way. This is good news for not only your bank account but again for the environment.
- It’s more suitable for sensitive skin: No water means no need for preservatives or other chemical fillers that are used to stop bacteria from forming. These ingredients are often harsh on the skin, and can irritate sensitive skin types. By removing these preservatives you’re left with a kinder to skin formula that everyone can use.
- It’s more effective: some of the most sought after skincare ingredients are better suited to a formula without water, making them more effective and you more likely to see results. For example Vitamin C can easily become oxidised by water, reducing it’s ability to anti-oxidise and brighten your skin!