Sarah Chapman is undoubtedly one of the most sought after facialists in the world. Her products and treatments are loved by all, including the fabulous Victoria Beckham (take a sneak peek at one of her favourite products below.)
To celebrate International Women's Day, we secured an exclusive interview with Sarah, to discuss all things career related and the advice she has for budding female entrepreneurs.
A Q&A with Sarah Chapman
- Q How did you begin your career in the beauty industry?
- A I have always had a passion for beauty ever since being in trouble for purple streaked hair and too much makeup at school! I grew up in Norway and it was there that I learnt about skincare in order to cope with the harsh weather conditions, and as a family we shared big tubs of protective moisturisers. It definitely had a profound influence on my interest in skincare. I trained as a makeup artist and my first job was working as agency staff in a prestigious department store beauty room whilst I was studying.
- Q What inspired you to create your own brand?
- A I have always been passionate about skincare and skin since I trained as a makeup artist. Over time I became increasingly obsessed with products, and what I could do for people’s skin, seeing some of the results that could be achieved with advanced cosmeceutical skincare. I began mixing the formulas I was working with and layering several different products in my facials and home care routines. I began to think, ‘Why can’t there be a product that’s cosmeceutical in its performance, but also smells good and is aesthetically pleasing?’ In my opinion, once you’ve used a cosmeceutical product, you can’t go back to just botanicals; but at the same time, women want efficacy alongside beautiful scents and packaging. I went on to study cosmetic science, ultimately hoping that, rather than offering my clients a clinical serum followed by a botanical cream and then an essential oil for scent; I could create formulas that combined all three. So the heart of my Skinesis range is exactly that: a fusion of the scientific, with high levels of actives and omega oils, in a base that’s paraben-free, and fragranced with natural essential oils.This combined with my quest to create the perfect skin canvas was the inspiration behind my Skinesis range – I have always loved helping my clients to achieve the skin of their dreams and the confidence that comes with that.
- Q How do you begin your day with a positive attitude?
- A My days tend to start early, I do like to stay healthy and whenever possible I do some yoga or exercises to kick start the day, followed by hot water and lemon and a healthy breakfast. Obviously I pay attention to my skin, starting by cleansing thoroughly with Ultimate Cleanse, followed by my Eye Recovery, Age-Repair Concentrate, Stem Cell Collagen Activator, Dynamic Defence Concentrate and Morning Facial (a gorgeous daytime facial elixir, inspired by my Overnight Facial). I finish with a good quality SPF such as Skin Insurance; I am a big advocate of product layering. I take omega supplements to help retain moisture in my skin and keep it in tip top condition and head off to the office or clinic.
- Q What has been the defining moment in your career?
- A I am so lucky to do something that I really love and to have had so many high points along the way. Winning awards, seeing my product on shelves for the first time, meeting and treating some of the world’s most famous women and most recently the launch of my first standalone, flagship store and beautiful Skinesis Clinic and being awarded a CEW achiever award for achievements in the beauty industry.
- Q What beauty product is your source of power?
- A I think I would honestly have to say Overnight Facial. It’s such a unique product that you can’t really replicate or substitute with anything else and it really does work wonders. No matter how long and hectic my day has been, a few drops of this powerful elixir ensures I wake up to beautifully plump, smooth and rejuvenated skin. Packed full of omega oils, high doses of vitamins A, C and E, antioxidants such as Coenzyme Q10 and Renovage to prolong cell life and Dermaxyl peptide, I’d be lost without it!
- Q What advice do you have for women starting out their careers?
- A I think, be true to yourself. Take opportunities, try lots of different areas and pursue what you are passionate about. Work hard and always do your best work. As an employer I really value loyalty and commitment and believe it should be rewarded. Demonstrating a commitment to always give 100%, an ability to listen and take on-board information or instruction and working to support your team with initiative are all attributes that are very hard to ignore.
- Q What future ventures are in the pipeline?
- A For me it’s all about pushing the boundaries of the new products we are formulating. I am constantly on the look-out for new actives to fight ageing. In terms of the brand the next step is International Expansion – we are already working on some very exciting projects with future global partners.
- Q What, for you, is the best thing about being a woman?
- A Working with other inspirational women. I am lucky enough to be surrounded by many brilliant women whom I admire and view as role models and also as friends.
- Q Who is your female role model?
- A I find Coco Chanel inspirational. She so effortlessly epitomised the true sense of beauty. Effortlessly chic and stylish her pioneering work truly celebrates the femininity and strength of women.
- Q What advice would you give your 20 year old self?
- A Never take NO for an answer! Remember you get out what you put in and you never stop learning. Dreams are not just dreams they are visions of a future you can create…….
Discover more about all our inspirational and powerful women to celebrate International Women’s Day.