Post last updated: 26/10/2023
Whether you prefer a super sleek look, subtle waves or dramatic curls, styling tools make all the difference. With brands like ghd and Babyliss, achieving salon-perfect waves and curls is incredibly easy with our picks of the best curling wands and curling tongs around.
What's the Difference Between a Curling Tong and a Curling Wand?
You'll see curlers called everything from a wand, to an iron or a styler. Technically, a wand has no clamp, whilst an iron or tong has a clamp, however, both versions work in the same way; you wrap your hair around them in order to curl them. We're talking about both of them in this blog post.
Whether you use a wand or a tong is totally up to you; with a clamp, it can be easier to hold hair onto the heat to get an even heat distribution, but without can be easier and faster to curl your hair.
Once you've made up your mind about which type of curler you'd prefer, then it's the perfect time to get shopping.
Our Picks of the Best Curling Wands & Tongs
- BaByliss Curl Secret
- Beauty Works Professional Styler Trio Edition
- Beauty Works x Molly Mae Curl Kit - Volume 2
- BaByliss PRO Titanium Expression Curling Tong (25mm)
- ghd Curve Classic Curl Tong (26mm)
- Revolution Haircare Wave It Out 32mm Angled Curler
- Chopstick Styler No1
- ghd Creative Curl Wand (28mm-23mm)
- BaByliss Rose Quartz 38mm Curling Tong
- Beauty Works Flat Iron Curl Bar 25mm
Shop all Hair Curlers on LOOKFANTASTIC.
Tips to Help You Choose the Perfect Curling Wand or Tong
There are so many different tools on the market to help you get gorgeous curls. Curling wands and curling tongs are the simplest, quickest and easiest tools to get gorgeous curls in mere minutes.
With curling wands, there are several different variations to choose from, as different shapes and sizes give very different results. If you're new to the world to hair styling wands, then there are two factors you should consider:
1. The type of curl that different barrel sizes create
Different shaped barrels will create different curl styles:
- Straight - this is the classic barrel shape and will create a classic curl that is even in shape and size from root to tip.
- Tapered - a tapered wand will give a looser curl close to the roots and tighter at the ends, resulting in a very natural look.
- Bubble - a wand with bubbles or bobbles will create a relaxed beachy style curl, resulting in volume and texture.
2. The size of curl that different barrel sizes create
- 6mm-20mm - these slimmer wands are sometimes known as chopstick curlers and create a super tight ringlet style curl.
- 20-32 mm - this barrel size is standard for creating a classic curl, that can be truly curly or brushed out into a softer curl.
- 32mm+ - big barrels create wide, soft curls that look sophisticated and slightly retro, perfect for brushing out into classic, shiny waves.
Curling Wands vs Curling Irons, What's the Difference?
Do you prefer curling wands or curling irons? We're settling the differences in the ultimate comparison guide.
The Best Curling Wands & Tongs for Great Curls
Shop all curling wands and tongs on LOOKFANTASTIC.