Cleaning your makeup brushes thoroughly and frequently is essential if you hope to create perfect, flawless beauty looks and keep your skin clear and radiant.
The importance of cleansing your makeup brushes cannot be emphasised enough. Packed with left over product and impurities, a brush that has not been cleansed properly in an extended period of time can harbour bacteria which can negatively effect on your skin, leading to blemishes and imperfections.
Makeup artists and skin experts alike reccomend that we should be cleaning our makeup brushes at least once a week in order to keep our skin clear and enhance the performance of our brushes.
Whether you’re new to cleaning your makeup brushes or need a few tips and tricks, we’ve compiled a step by step guide to help you keep your brushes thoroughly clean and in wonderful condition.
How to clean makeup brushes: Step by step
- Wet your brushes with lukewarm water, facing the head of the brush downwards
- Take a small amount makeup brush cleanser or a gentle soap
- Swirl the bristles of your brush in the soap in gentle circular motions
- Continue to swirl until all the colour has come out of the bristles
- Rinse all soap and excess product away, repeat cleansing if necessary
- Rid the bristles of any excess water by squeezing moisture on to a clean towel
- Reshape the brush gentle with your hands
- Leave the brush to air dry for a couple of hours until completely dry and ready to use
The best makeup brush cleaners
Finding the right products and tools to help clean your makeup brushes can help to speed up the cleansing process and take a way a lot of the effort that comes with weekly ritual of cleansing your brushes.