Though it may sound taboo, CBD carries many benefits in our skincare and haircare products. A huge growing trend in the beauty industry at the moment, we have summed up everything you need to know about this powerful plant extract including why you should be incorporating it into your daily routine and how it can help with major skin concerns such as acne and inflammation.
What is CBD Oil?
"CBD stands for cannabidiol and is a naturally occurring compound that’s found in larger amounts in the Cannabis sativa L. species or hemp plant" explains Gizelle Noronha, senior marketing manager for CBII. "For thousands of years, it’s been sought after for its natural herbal properties and benefits for holistic wellness. These days, it can be found in everything from CBD oil drops, capsules and topicals, to teas, gummies and skincare" she adds.
Unlike their other more controversial components, such as THC, Gizelle reassures us that "CBD, as a compound, has been shown to be non-psychoactive. Unlike Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main compound in marijuana, CBD itself has no impact on cognitive function and does not cause any psychoactive effects so you can take it with ease" Gizelle expands. "CBD is not addictive. It is legal in the UK and has been declared safe by the World Health Organisation" adds Rosie Joly, co-founder & sales director at OTO.
What are the effects of CBD on the body?
"CBD is a molecule that matches one naturally produced by our own bodies in the endocannabinoid system" explains Rosie. "The endocannabinoid system helps keep the body in balance, or to use the technical term, homeostasis. It helps regulate sleep, mood, and pain amongst other things; by communicating to neuron transmitters, cells and hormones to regulate them back to their happy equilibrium" she adds. "If the endocannabinoid system is not functioning well, supplementing the body with cannabinoids, like CBD, can help with conditions, including anxiety, stress, pain, inflammation, or any proliferated skin issues" says Rosie.
What are the benefits of CBD Oil in beauty?
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory - "CBD plays a key role in maintaining the natural balance in our bodies when we’re feeling out of sync. With its anti-inflammatory properties and working as an immunomodulator, it helps maintain the body’s equilibrium that can be poorly impacted by stress, anxiety and lack of sleep to generally increase our quality of life" says Gizelle.
- It is extremely hydrating -"CBD is a naturally nourishing oil, leaving your skin feeling hydrated and soft after use" says Rosie.
- It helps prevent against the visible signs of ageing - CBD Oil is extremely rich in anti-oxidants which help guard against free-radical damage (pollution, UV damage, impurities) that can age the skin. By protecting against these aggressors, CBD helps to prevent the formation of winkles, fine lines and dullness.
- It promotes stronger, healthier hair growth - CBD Oil is also high in fatty acids includng Omega's 3, 6 and 9 which help to keep hair moisturised and strong, stopping split ends from forming. The oils in the Omegas also nourish the scalp to promote hair growth.
- Supports healthy rejuvenation of the skin - "CBD is highly ‘sebostatic’ and reacts with receptors to help balance and control oil production on the skin, which leads to fewer impurities like pimples, spots and blackheads" says Rosie.
- It's an antioxidant - "helping protect against daily damage from free radicals".
- Supports the optimal functioning of your circadian rhythm - "at night, it helps you relax, unwind and let go of the stresses of the day, therefore allowing you to drift off into a good night’s sleep and wake up refreshed and rested the next morning" explains Rosie.
- Supports balance in the body - "CBD oil is brilliant for supporting your body to regulate itself and maintain a healthy balance. It helps the body effectively process stress and anxiety, in turn rebalancing hormone levels" says Rosie.
What concentration of CBD should you look for?
"The perfect amount will be different for everyone, but don’t worry, you can’t overdose on CBD" Rosie reassures. "Depending on how efficiently your body maintains its internal balance, the same amount of CBD might affect you differently compared to the next person. Any excess CBD that you don't need, your body will flush out naturally" she adds.
Is CBD safe to use when pregnant?
"CBD oils are recommended for anyone over the age of 18 years, except for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding" says Gizelle.
How often should CBD be taken?
"CBD is best taken consistently as part of a daily routine, like a vitamin, so that it is always available in your system" points out Rosie. "Our studies found that you need to be taking over 40mg of CBD daily for 3-4 days for the full benefits to kick in. We suggest an optimum daily intake of 40-60mg. Guidance from the UK’s Food Standard Agency recommends a maximum daily intake of 70mg in food or drinks".
Which skin types is CBD oil best for?
"CBD has a myriad of benefits when it comes to skincare" says Rosie. "The European Commission officially defines it’s topical functions as anti-sebum, antioxidant, skin conditioning and skin protecting. As it has an overall balancing effect, it is fantastic for tackling any skin conditions that are “differentiated or proliferated” e.g eczema, rosacea or hyperpigmentation, and it is hugely hydrating whilst also balancing oil production and tackling acne" she explains.
Our top CBD Beauty Picks
CBII Nourishing CBD Face Oil
"The Nourishing Face Oil uses CBD harnesses the power of the whole hemp plant, taking CBD from the flowering head of the hemp plant and hemp seed oil from the seeds for an all round skincare product that is soft and gentle on the skin" explains Gizelle. "This also helps reduce the appearance of redness and irritation, moisturises without clogging, known to have anti-inflammatory benefits and is ultra-nourishing for the skin" she expands.
OTO CBD Power Drops
Formulated with optimum-strength CBD, the OTO CBD Power Drops help to promote balance, focus and calm. Blended with blood orange, bitter orange and grapefruit, the antioxidant-rich formula offers a sweet citrus flavour. Simply release half a drop under the tongue and hold for 30 seconds to start your day off right or to restore balance throughout the day.
Philip B CBD Scalp and Body Oil
Designed to revitalise stressed and tired skin, the Philip B CBD Scalp and Body Oil can be used from head to toe to reduce redness and inflammation and lock in moisture. Suitable for chronic skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis as well as daily skin problems including cracks and dryness, the Oil nurtures and soothes the skin and helps to aid the healing process. The mix of Jojoba Seed, Olive, Sweet Almond, Sesame and Walnut Oils not only create a delicious fragrant smell, but also provide moisture and nutrients, helping to alleviate any discomfort.
Chantecaille CBD 300 Face and Body Cream
Harnessing both it's hydrating and soothing properties, this CBD 300 Face and Body Cream uses CBD Oil blended with Eggplant Stem Cell extract to reduce irritation and the appearance of redness whilst locking in moisture. The smooth formula is suitable for use on both the face and body and doesn't leave any greasy or sticky residue, allowing you to carry on your day with a hydrated and glowing, even complexion.
this works CBD Boosters
If you have irritated or sensitive skin, but are also looking for a targeted treatment for skincare concerns such as dullness or wrinkles, the CBD Boosters by this works are perfectly suited to your skin type. Each blended with hemp-derived CBD along with tailored ingredients for each skin concern, the Boosters effectively work to give your skin the exact nourishment it needs without causing irritation.
KIKI Health CBD Oil 10%
A natural treatment for damaged or irritated skin, this CBD Oil 10% by KIKI Health is a blend of CBD and vegetable based oil that helps to sooth and replenish. Suitable for use all over the body, including on the scalp, the formula hydrates and helps the natural healing process.
CBII CBD Gummies
"We’re still learning more and more about the positive impact that CBD can have on both the body and mind" admits Gizelle. "Personal experience and preliminary research indicate it can assist with stress, anxiety, sleep, short-term pain relief, inflammation, muscle recovery and much more. Over 80% of our customers take the CBII Gummies to help manage sleep, stress and anxiety".
OTO 1500mg CBD Sleep Drops
"OTO CBD Sleep drops are our best seller for good reason. OTO CBD Sleep Drops are expertly formulated to help you relax, unwind and drift into a good night’s sleep" says Rosie. "Pure OTO CBD infused with soothing lavender, calming butterfly pea flower and fresh field mint curated to help you sleep soundly. They won’t leave you feeling drowsy or tired, instead, they are specifically created to maintain balance within your body, helping you align with your natural sleep cycle. This 15ml bottle is designed to last you a full 30 days ensuring you sleep well all month long, delivering 50mg of pure CBD with each use, the research-recommended amount to actually impact your sleep".