Nicola Elliott, founder of Neom, is one of the most inspiring women we know in the beauty industry. Knowing how important it is to take care of your well-being, she developed her own range of skincare and lifestyle products to help every woman out there keep a balanced state of mind.
Nicola prefers plant-based formulations and pure essential oils over chemicals and harsh ingredients. She believes organic and natural formulations work best to relieve anxiety and tension, and we couldn't agree more.
NEOM's range of skin remedies, spritzes and candles are all we need when fitting a little "me time" into our busy schedule.
If you want to know more about how to reduce your stress levels, you can read more on the blog.
A Q&A With Nicola Elliott, Founder of NEOM
- Q How did you begin your career in the beauty industry?
- A When I left university I started my career in Journalism but that was really more on the entertainment side. Whilst I was there I developed a true passion for well being and I started studying Aromatherapy and Nutrition at night school.
- Q What inspired you to create your brand?
- A Back when I was working as a Journalist, I became burnt out and I was only 26 years old, and I wasn’t the only one, my friends and colleagues were all feeling the same. Then I started experimenting, creating little essential oil blends and tinctures for them and they really worked! At that point I started thinking of launching my own business, it was really obvious to me from the beginning that my products had to be 100% natural and, where possible, organic to actually work. My next "lightbulb moment" was when I was looking for some organic pampering gifts, for my very green-minded but glamorous sister. Eleven years ago, what was available to buy in the shops was pretty uninspiring. I had to either choose something glam that was full of synthetic chemicals or head to a health food shop, buy something with great organic credentials but stuffed in a brown paper bag. To crack the market, I realised my essential oil blends had to look good as well as do good. So my business partner Oliver and I started with just 5 candles, the first candles on the market to be made only with 100% natural wax and pure essential oils.
- Q How do you begin your day with a positive attitude?
- A Running really helps me clear my mind, so I try to do that in the morning before work whilst the kids are still asleep. I make sure I have a healthy breakfast and I try to be as organised as possible with the kids so that I can get into the office with an organised mind!
- Q What has been the defining moment in your career?
- A I think when our products first launched into retailers, and when we opened our first store in Wimbledon. We recently opened our store in Leeds too and we plan to open lots more!
- Q What beauty product is your source of power?
- A I can’t live without a face oil, and specifically anything with Rosehip Oil in is so good for my skin. I use only natural or organic and whatever I use has to be quick and easy!
- Q What advice do you have for women starting out their careers?
- A Getting ahead in business really is all about getting on with it and working hard. Don’t dwell on problems and barriers that you come up against, make finding a solution your number one priority so that you can move onward and upwards. If you don’t know something, learn about it, there are plenty of resources out there to educate yourself, get online, read the expert business books, these are great places to start.
- Q What future ventures are in the pipeline?
- A Like I said we plan to open lots more stores, and more than ever NEOM is about helping women manage their well-being so we’ve got loads of cool stuff coming – watch this space!
- Q What, for you, is the best thing about being a woman?
- A Our empathy, it helps in so many ways... home and business.
- Q Who is your female role model?
- A My sister. She’s totally got her priorities right and is a great laugh.
- Q What advice would you give your 20 year old self?
- A Don’t sweat the small stuff, nothing is ever as bad as it seems!
You can read all of our Powerful Women features on the blog for career and beauty inspiration.