Dr. Lancer treats the complexions of everyone from Kim Kardashian to Victoria Beckham, so we were delighted to catch up with him and discover his insider secrets.
The Lancer Method is one of the most renowned skincare routines in the world, but we delved deeper and managed to discover a whole host of insider tips too!
Skincare Essential Tips With Dr. Lancer
- How did you begin your career in skincare?
- I began my medical journey in 1971 with a real interest in skin and skin repair. I completed my undergraduate pre-medical studies at Brandeis University in Boston, Massachusetts and went on to receive a medical degree from the University of California, San Diego. I then completed a residency at Harvard Medical School, a plastic surgery training program at the Tel Hashomer Hospital in Tel Aviv and on-going graduate experience in London at St. John’s Hospital for Diseases of the Skin. In 1983 I received my board certification in Dermatology and opened Lancer Dermatology in Beverly Hills.
- What has been the highlight of your career?
- The highlight must be when I began my private practice in 1983. I did my training at Harvard, so I brought the mainstream use of lasers to repair scar to the west coast of the United States. I became intertwined in the cosmetic repair of scars in the entertainment industry. I suppose it was getting involved with celebrities, affluent people and influencers which stemmed into charity work which I have always found very rewarding.
- What is your beauty secret?
- My personal regime includes The Method - Polish, Cleanse and Nourish - twice a day. I also have a dedicated exercise routine which sees me doing 60-90 minutes of exercise after I have seen patients. And finally, I watch my diet; I removed caffeine and gluten and I eat minimal amounts of dairy and carbohydrates. So, my secret is to have a holistic approach to beauty by way of diet, exercise and cleansing the skin.
- What is your signature treatment?
- All patients are on The Lancer Method and then we correct the skin colour which is probably the most difficult thing I do. Everyone wants uniform skin so treating pigmentation and skin tone is very popular. Tissue lifting is also a signature treatment which is the process of lifting and tightening the skin without any cutting or stitching. This treatment is perfect for anyone with loss of volume and elasticity in the cheeks and jawline.
- What sets your products apart from other brands?
- The Lancer Method is “real chemistry”. It was developed by myself and my chemists because of experience with patients. I learned from them they needed simple, effective products – and regimens that were not too time consuming. Yes, I do have very diligent patients who will use many products or complicated regimens and for them I do make even more customized programs, however I needed to ensure that even a more basic regimen produced amazing results. The Lancer Method is a system free of gimmicks or miracle ingredients, which as a medical doctor, was important to me. The three-part Method harnesses essential dermatological science coupled with my own experience working with patients at my private practice to provide a simple and effective skin care regimen.
- What is the one ingredient women of every age should be using?
- Lactic acid, glycolic acid, hyaluronic acid, vitamins A, C and E – these are just some of the ingredients that should be implemented into a year-round skincare regimen.
- What is the worst skincare mistake you can make?
- The biggest is not understanding the importance of systemic skincare and constantly switching up the products they use. Yes, trends in skin care come and go, but the key to a truly effective regime is finding what works for your skin and committing to caring for it daily.
- How important is sleep in giving you healthy skin?
- Sleep is hugely important. When people have irregular sleep patterns because of travel, stress or physiological reasons, the body’s repair mechanisms are flawed. Sleep deprivation is a huge problem for skin. Everyone should strive to have at least 6 hours of sleep per night.
- What is the best way to treat a blemish at home?
- I always advise using a warm compress for one minute on, one minute off until the blemish softens and expresses itself.
- Are there any emerging skincare trends that excite you?
- The biggest skincare trend includes ingredients that assist cellular DNA repair. DNA skincare is a hot topic all over the world so there’s a lot of discussion and interest on this. The various ingredients being used in these skincare products are designed to improve and repair mitochondrial DNA rather than the nuclear DNA. This is important because mitochondrial DNA repair increases the cells ability to make protein – that is, collagen and elastin – which is key to keeping your skin looking young, plump and wrinkle-free.