We think that freckles are beautiful. After the sunny weekends we've been having in the UK, we know more and more of us will be saying hello to a smattering of freckles over noses and cheeks. What better moment to talk about the best makeup to help you make the most of those freckles?
The best foundations for freckled skin are those that even that evens out your skin at the same time as adding radiance. Makeup which tries to cover freckles can often leave skin looking ashy or muddy, so light coverage works the best. There are a few tricks to help you choose the best base for you:
- Try a radiance-boosting primer, like the Hylamide Photography Foundation. It will help to even out skin tone before applying your base, so you need less coverage.
- Finding the right shade can be hard. Be sure you don't go too pale as this may make your freckles look dull and grey. Look for somewhere between your freckle shade and your base shade, matching it down the neck.
- Look for sheer, liquid formulas for a dewy finish. We love using a totally cream and liquid base before setting lightly on the T-zone.
- If you can get away with light coverage, try BB creams and tinted moisturisers for a beautiful sheer finish.
- If you prefer a matte look, try out a powder foundation like a mineral foundation- it won't mask your skin too heavily but will leave things natural and softly mattified.
Be Clever with Concealer
The trick to keeping freckles bright and radiant at the same time as perfecting your skin is to spot conceal. This means applying extra coverage to conceal, just where you need it. Concealer under the eyes, around the nose and on any spots or red marks is all you need for a flawless result.
- If you are using a powder foundation, always apply your concealer first to avoid streaking or clumping.
- Blending is the key. Soften the edges of any concealer by using a concealer brush to blend them out.
- Colour-correcting formulas are fab for removing blue tones under the eyes.
- Try out a creamy, radiant formula for a brightening finish that isn't too heavy.
Add Some Colour
It can be easy to shy away from blushers and bronzers when you have freckles, but the right colour will actually bring out your freckles and leave you looking beautifully sun-kissed. Don't be scared, experiment with adding a little glow.
- Look for tones which aren't too brown or muddy. This will stop the colour blending too much into your freckles and looking messsy; you want to keep the contrast between your freckles and any colour.
- There are lots of new liquid and serum bronzers around now, which are brilliant for a natural result. Tap over cheekbones and temples for a radiant finish.
- For blush, peaches and pinks look beautiful on freckled skin. They brighten up the face and bring out the freckles.
- A subtle sweep of a warm-toned highlighter across the cheekbones can do wonders for adding a touch of radiance.
Whether you want to rock a heavy smoky eye or even a bright pink lip, have fun and have confidence. We don't believe in beauty rules, just in looking and feeling our best. Make the most of your freckles this summer, let them shine through and play around with your makeup looks!