To celebrate our Pro Series, we caught up with one half of Percy & Reed, Adam Reed to understand the haircare trends for Autumn and Winter, and discover the beauty secret to great locks.
Adam Reed is an industry legend. He has worked in the hair industry for over 20 years, as a stylist, a salon owner and a product developer.
He has created a best-selling range of hair products with his partner Paul Percival under the Percy & Reed name and is a global ambassador for huge brands like ghd, making him one of the most respected names in the business.
His client list includes A-List celebrities like Diane Kruger and Sophie Dahl and he is always on call for some of the best names in the beauty industry. You'll find him working as often on fashion shoots and shows as in his prestigious london salon, the Percy and Reed salon.
There isn't much about hair styling that Adam doesn't know, so it is no surprise we were very excited to catch up with him.
- Q What inspired you to create Percy & Reed (products)?
- A We wanted to simplify things and make a range of professional performance products which the consumer will find easy to use. We wanted to strip out all the confusing ‘industry jargon’ that even hairdressers often don’t understand and put the fun back into hair styling. Our products are easy to use, unpretentious and give great natural results.
- Q What’s the most important life lesson you’ve learnt so far?
- A Go with your heart.
- Q What is the one hair item you cannot live without?
- Q Can you share a hair secret or hack that you swear by?
- A The most common mistake people make when they are drying their hair is to direct the airflow up the hair shaft, lifting the cuticle and causing frizz. When drying your hair you should always have the hot air blowing down the hair shafts from root to tip. This will flatten the cuticle and help promote frizz-free, shiny hair. Also, for best results always use a hair primer like our Perfectly Perfecting Wonder Balm, which preps the hair for styling by smoothing, protecting and helping to speed up the drying time. This also helps your styling products work better, following this great base.
- Q Who is your hair icon?
- A Barbara Streisand
- Q Can you share a favourite fashion week memory?
- A Working with my all-time favourite model Gemma Ward at the Matthew Williamson show in 2004. I love her!
- Q What hair faux pas do you see too often?
- A Too much product! Often less is more.
- Q What are your haircare favourites for this Autumn/Winter?
- A At this time of year it’s important to rehydrate locks after the Summer and start protecting them from the unpredictable weather ahead. Treatment masks are the best way to achieve healthy, nourished hair. Work a mask through your hair once a week to leave the hair really glossy and ultra-rich. The Percy & Reed Totally TLC Hydrating Mask works in just three minutes and comes with a bonnet which is perfect to create heat, which then allows the mask to penetrate further into the hair shaft. Our Wonder Overnight Recovery is a new type of hair treatment which you can apply to dry hair before you go to bed to nourish as you sleep. It absorbs in seconds so there is no need to protect your pillows. By the time you wake, the treatment will have provided all the conditioning you need, so no further conditioner is needed, just shampoo and go. Rain and wind can easily wreak havoc with your style. The Percy & Reed Quite Frankly Flawless Finishing Polish is a fabulous product for Winter and quickly becoming a cult must-have item for both men and women. This adds lightweight, non-greasy shine and hold, to help keep your style in place. It is especially good on shorter styles - try it to hold quiffs or for creating texture, to bring dimension to your style. This also serves as a barrier to tame fly-aways and protect from humidity, meaning you’ll always look polished. Small enough to fit in a handbag, it’s a great multi-tasking product for this time of year.
- Q If you had to pick one item from your collection what would it be and why?
- A I love our Invisible Dry Shampoo – it really does do what it says on the bottle – the key is to brush any dry shampoo through the hair from the root through to the tip.
- Q What is your go to easy hairstyle for clients?
- A For an easy to do style it’s got to be a top knot. It’s so simple to create and looks amazing. Pack the hair out with Percy & Reed No Fuss Fabulousness Dry Shampoo and put it into a high ponytail on the top of the head. Backcomb the pony tail, twist the hair round and round the band into a bun. Spray your grips with Percy & Reed Reassuringly Firm Session Hold Hairspray and then secure the hair by pinning it the underneath the band.
- Q What is your favourite hair trend of the season (Autumn / Winter)?
- A We have a service in the Salons based on the key Pony Tail trend – “The Ponytailor”. It offers variants of A/W key pony tail trends: beautiful slick tight ponies to salty texture double up ponies – the pony is my favourite AW trend.