Lookfantastic recently spoke to Christina Salcedas, the Senior Training Manager at Aromatherapy Associates about the benefits of Aromatherapy in your beauty routine. As we are on our way into winter, aromatherapy can be a great way to relax yourself during the chaos of the season ahead.
An Interview With Aromatherapy Associates
Aromatherapy Associates Inner Strength Bath & Shower Oil (55ml)5 Stars 2 Reviews£36.75
Aromatherapy Associates Relax Candle 200g£42.00
Aromatherapy Associates Skin and Body Ritual Gift Set£36.00
- How did you begin your career in aromatherapy?
- Like so many other people, I studied for 3 years at University and have ended up doing something completely different in life. I was studying Sociology, Health, Nutrition and Lifestyle when Aromatherapy came up as a module choice in my final year. Students were given the option to extend the module to a year to gain a full ITEC Aromatherapy qualification. Once I started the course I was completely hooked and have never looked back.
- What has been the highlight of your career?
- I have been in the industry for over 10 years and have been very lucky to have gone straight from my first Spa Manager role into travelling around the world to some amazing destinations whilst training in the most beautiful spas for my favourite brand, Aromatherapy Associates. However, the highlight has to be working with Geraldine Howard on my first Aromatherapy Associates treatment, the Ultimate Detox Reviver.
- How does aromatherapy affect your mind and body?
- Aromatherapy works in 3 different ways, firstly through absorption whereby the essential oils enter your blood stream through the hair follicle and depending on what blend of essential oils you are using will depend on the affect it has on your mind and body. Secondly, essential oils have an antibacterial effect on the respiratory system when inhaled via the nose. And lastly and the most interestingly of all is the effect it has on the sense of smell. The sense of smell is the most primitive of all our senses and it is linked to some of the oldest and deepest parts of the brain. Aromas can trigger emotional and even physical responses, allow vivid memory recall of people and places as well as emotional memories, both positive and negative. Just by smelling one of our blends it has the ability to change the way I am feeling.
- What is your hero product in the Aromatherapy Associates collection?
- It has to be the Anti-Ageing Intensive Skin Treatment Oil. This Anti-Ageing Face Oil was created by Geraldine initially to help heal a scar but has gone onto be our skin booster oil. It's a great post-holiday treatment for dry dehydrated skin but is also great for areas like elbows, cuticles, knees and heels that need a little more attention. We do our specialised eye massage with it in our Age Repair Facial to help keep the eye area soft, supple and youthful. It can also be used to help heal new stretch marks and improve the appearance of old ones. It is definitely an SOS product that everyone should have in their product cabinet at all times.
- What can you do to help you de-stress?
- Taking time for you is very important. Find something you love to do and find time to do it everyday, or as often as possible. I love to create a spa atmosphere in my bathroom by lighting candles, running a bath with a couple of pumps of the Renewing Rose Body Wash and then adding a capful of my favourite Bath and Shower Oil, which de-stresses the mind as well. Just the ritual of preparing this is already very de-stressing but after a soak you are ready to face the world all over again.
- What can you do to increase energy?
- If you are lacking energy it is important to be mindful as to why it is happening. Look at diet, lifestyle and sleeping patterns, this is always a great start. Aromatherapy can certainly help lethargic and sluggish systems by using stimulating blends of essential oils like Rosemary, Pink Grapefruit and Juniper Berry found in Aromatherapy Associates Revive collection.
- Do you have any exercises you do to make your body and mind feel more balanced?
- I love to swim. Although I prefer swimming in the sea, I make do with a trip down to my local pool to do a couple of laps as often as I can. Exercising is an easy and healthy way of de-stressing as well as keeping the body healthy and balanced.
- How do you manage stress?
- Stress can cause all kinds of illness in the body so I try to prevent getting or being stressed as much as possible. I do this by keeping organised, being happy with who I am and what I do, being mindful and grateful as well as looking after myself with a healthy diet and lifestyle.
- How can aromatherapy be incorporated into your sleep routine?
- There are many ways that aromatherapy can be incorporated into a sleep routine. Firstly, by lighting an aromatherapy candle as soon as you begin to wind down for the night, running a bath and pouring a capful of relaxing essential oil blend into your hands and massaging all over your torso before stepping into the bath (Deep Relax Bath & Shower is my favourite for a perfect night's sleep), moisturising your body with a de-stressing body oil blend (such as Relax Body Oil) and finally using a scented eye mask to completely block out any light to ensure a good night sleep.
- How is aromatherapy used to help the skin?
- Using aromatherapy skincare is a great way to increase blood and lymph circulation, stimulate cellular renewal and regeneration, calm, soothe, protect, heal and soften the skin as well as tightening and firming.