We couldn't have a series of interviews with inspiring female entrepreneurs in the beauty industry without featuring Petra Strand.
The former makeup artist launched Pixi, her forward-thinking skincare and makeup brand to simply "bring out the natural beauty in all women". Since the opening of her first flagship boutique in London back in the 90's, Petra has been working hard to create high-quality, innovative and result-driven products, such as the iconic Glow Tonic.
A Q&A with Petra Strand, Founder of Pixi
- Q How did you begin your career in the beauty industry?
- A I trained in LA as a makeup artist and then worked all over the world.
- Q What inspired you to create your own brand?
- A 18 years ago I could not find colour makeup that also treated your skin, and most things were matte! From day one Pixi were always about glow, and great skin. A natural fresh look.
- Q How do you begin your day with a positive attitude?
- A I always wake up excited, I consider myself very lucky to do a job that does not feel like a job! I’m basically still as passionate about creating the best possible products as I was when I first started.
- Q What has been the defining moment in your career?
- A There are a few, winning Allure awards is always a nice confirmation that you are doing something right. Launching Pixi in 2000 Target stores all over US was definitely a highlight. More recently opening our 1st US store in Venice LA, was amazing!
- Q What beauty product is your source of power?
- A My power & energy comes from inside, it’s a state of mind! However a little makeup always helps in making you look as good as you feel. Also with Glow Tonic, I hear so many stories with woman who no longer have breakouts or problem skin! That is powerful.
- Q What advice do you have for women starting out their careers?
- A Work harder than anybody else. Be self motivating and make your own story. It’s your life – take control .
- Q What future ventures are in the pipeline?
- A I see more stores, I see a lot more great products and we have some very exciting things for 2018 that we are planning right now.
- Q What, for you, is the best thing about being a woman?
- A Family.
- Q Who is your female role model?
- A My grandmother.
- Q What advice would you give your 20 year old self?
- A It’s all going to be fine, calm down.
You can read all of our Powerful Women features on the blog for career and beauty inspiration.