Jade rollers have gained major popularity in recent months, with people praising them for helping to clear spots and breakouts and get the complexion glowing. But just what are they, and why should we be incorporating them into our skincare routines?
What is a jade roller?
Jade rollers are handheld massaging tools, inspired by traditional Chinese medicine. They work to boost circulation, which in turn helps to promote lymphatic drainage and encourage a clearer, more radiant complexion. With beauties such as Marianna Hewitt singing their praises, we’re definitely on board.
What are the main benefits?
Jade has long been recognised as an important semi-precious stone in traditional Chinese medicine, as it’s believed to have calming and healing properties. Whether you believe that crystals and stones can have this effect on the skin and well-being or not, the act of rolling it across your skin really does have many beautifying benefits.
By using a jade roller, you are encouraging better blood circulation, which helps to get toxins and impurities moving and out of your system. The result? Less congestion, less breakouts and a more enhanced, radiant glow.
Jade rollers also work wonders when used (gently) around the eye area, as they can reduce puffiness and dark circles. By removing excess fluid under the eye that builds up overnight, the cooling jade stone helps to constrict blood vessels and prevent further swelling and puffiness.
How to use a jade roller:
Jade rollers can be used in a multitude of ways, depending on how you want to fit it into your skincare routine.
- Use with a serum: Apply your favourite serum or oil all over (some of our favourites are from ELEMIS, Pai and Caudalie), and then instead of using your hands to massage in the product, use your jade roller until it’s fully absorbed. You will find it melts into the skin much better and leaves the skin glowing.
- Use on its own: If you feel a little puffy or have a fatigued complexion, 5 minutes with a jade roller will help transform your skin. Use on it’s own without product and let the cooling stone work its magic.
- Use around the eyes: Delicately roll the jade stone under the eyes and just below the brow bone to reduce puffiness and dark circles.
- Use on the neck: For sagging skin on the neck, use your jade roller day and night to help tighten and lift.
Pop it in the fridge overnight and use it all over the face and neck in the morning for a refreshing, de-puffing treat
The perfect rolling routine…
Follow the below steps to perfect your jade rolling routine and achieve a gorgeously glowing and healthy complexion.
- Begin at the chin and work up the jawline all the way to your natural hairline. The pressure should be light and comfortable and not painful in any way.
- Turn the jade roller on its side and work from the nose to the hairline, rolling out towards the ears.
- For a refreshing eye treat, apply super light pressure below the brow bone and roll out towards the temples (this is also great if you have a tension headache as it helps to relieve pressure).
- Repeat this just above the eyebrows, rolling downwards towards the outer corner of the eyes.
- Place the jade roller in between your brows and roll upwards towards your hairline. This is great for stimulating circulation and battling breakouts on the forehead. Move out across the forehead as you go.
- Finally, finish by placing the jade roller on its side and rolling across the forehead to soothe.
Read about our best brightening serums and essences to use with your jade roller.